Seq editor feature requests #1

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

paprmh

Seq editor feature requests #1

Post by paprmh » Tue May 10, 2005 4:10 am

I have been exploring the possiblilties of seq plugins lately and have a few suggestions that I think will add alot to the power of the editor (and the plugins) with very little time or effort to code. I just thought that I would throw them out here and see if anyone else agrees with me. Some of this stuff may be much harder to do than I think- if so just say so.

1) frame lock & abort from rendering preview image (both)
I hate it when I accidentaly change frames when I have a scene as a strip and have to wait 10 min to get blender back so I can go back to the frame I want to be at. this brings me to:

2) disconnect the seq editor output image preview window from the timeline ...
I don't know how many times I have inadvertantly clicked on the image to see what color that pixel is ( like in the render window) and find myself stuck rendering a 10 minute frame - and this leads to:

3) get pixel color under mouse in the image preview window...
This could be a great addon to the COL button ( along with alpha - why was that left out of the COL button?)
-> just tie it to the render window color viewer function and return the color (all 32 bits -> do it as col[4] )

4) location [x,y] under mouse in the image preview
->xy position could be used for box selects or polygon selects... maybe even draw select...

5) access to the original x, y, and ->rect of the image...
I think that this was once available to plugins just by the way that some of the older plugins are coded...
-> plugins could decide either where to put a smaller image or what part of a larger image to put into out->rect (or any combination of the 2 for that matter)

That's enough for now, this is getting too long for one post (hope some others take the hint :wink:)

:roll:...but I have more ideas...

btw: *ibuf2 never seems to be null like *use does when empty... why does it point to ibuf1? now you need to add the extra check if ibuf2!=ibuf1 to see if you have a valid 1buf2...you shouldn't need to

scourage

Post by scourage » Tue May 10, 2005 2:50 pm

These are good ideas. I'm working on a sequencer overhaul and could use some help.

Sequencer Wiki

Cheers,

Bob
Halfway down the trail to hell....

paprmh

Post by paprmh » Thu May 12, 2005 12:39 am

Glad you think these are good ideas scourage, and I have checked your wiki page every once in a while ever since you posted about it on Elysiun last year...I haven't offered to help before this because I really don't think that I have the coding skills (or math background) to be of much use to your project. (will email you soon anyway)

I do like to make seq plugins though, (ya gotta love 1 second compiles :lol: talk about instant gratification) and in the course of coding a few simple plugins I have noticed little things like the above list.

Actually, I was hoping to catch the interest of a dev or two in order to possibly see some of this could come true before the next release (it's that instant gratification thing again). Like I said above, I don't think that most of them will take much time or effort to code (maybe on the same scale as a bug fix?). and they would really improve the usefullness of the editor until your major rewrite is complete.

here is a couple more ideas as long as I'm here:

6) access to other frames in a sequence strip...
maybe this is already possible - if so I haven't found any info on how to do it...could be good for a number of things like a post pro motion blur(big render time savings & the ability to change without rerendering)

7) zoom and pan abilities for the image preview window...
it really sucks if the preview window is smaller than your render -
also would be nice to be able to zoom to 200% or more so you could see details of the image better while adjusting a plugin.

there are still more seq ideas...and a few questions too...but I will wait to see what responses I get(if any) with what I have put out here so far.

rob

tbaldridge

Post by tbaldridge » Sat Jun 04, 2005 2:19 am

[begin shameless plug]

Bob and I are working together on getting the sequencer in a better shape. Actualy we're making a fork (technical issues). Goto http://positron.sourceforge.net for more info. There is also a thread on Elysiun abou this as well.

[end shameless plug]

kxs

Post by kxs » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:14 pm

but will the positron`s stuff and ideas be implemented into blender`s sequence editor?

scourage

Post by scourage » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:01 pm

It may be at a future date. But first we have to get something to move.

Cheers,

Bob
Halfway down the trail to hell....