Compiling Blender without console

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

russose

Compiling Blender without console

Post by russose » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:00 pm

Hello,

I am working for a couple of mounth on porting Blender for Pocketpc. I already ported Ghost and I am now working on the whole Blender tree. On windows, blender works with a console. On Pocketpc, there is no console and no io.h.
Does someone know how can I desactivate the console in the source? I think than when the console will be desactivated, I will not need io.h any more.

Thanks for your help,

Salvatore

Duoas

Post by Duoas » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:59 am

You may have a problem with python. Blender and python both expect the console to exist as a place to dump text. For example: frame output when rendering animations.

What I would recommend is replacing the console with an output emulator on the pocketpc. Someone might have already written something along those lines.

Or if you really want to eliminate it, replace all the io functions (prototyped in io.h) with stubs which behave properly but simply don't display anything, anywhere. And which complains properly if anything asks for console input.

In either case, you're going to have to do more than just toggle something. I think.

blendix

Post by blendix » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:08 am

Check your buildsystem for the _CONSOLE define.

russose

Post by russose » Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:49 pm

Thanks for your answer!

I found a pocketpc console:
http://www.symbolictools.de/public/pocketconsole/

My pilosophy for the moment is to change as few thinks as possible. But for a pocketpc, I will be faced to a ressource problem and I don't know if it is really usefull to charge this little computer with a console...
I am building a new project in EVC4 for Blender. If I understand good, If I don't define _CONSOLE, it will not include the console?? Only that?
I read somewhere a few mounth ago that a version without console was built but was not so popular...

For the moment, I am at the beginning of the compilation process... I will use Pocketconsole and try to go ahead. Then, when I will have a running version, I will have to swicht to the optimization work :=)

Thanks for your help again!!

Salvatore