X box Port and Game cube please

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Which console would you like to see Blender on?

Poll ended at Tue Dec 31, 2002 11:51 am

PS2
100%
X Box
No votes
Game cube
No votes
Dreamcast
No votes

Total votes: 2

djfuego

X box Port and Game cube please

Post by djfuego » Sat Dec 21, 2002 11:51 am

These next gen consoles should be targeted as well because of the gfx hardware they are sporting. I'd expect the Xbox to be a little simpler because It's M$. I don't know much about the specs of the Gamecube. It looks like a bit of a power box. :P
:idea: So if anyone want's to take up the challenge then so be it.

thornae

Not really feasible...

Post by thornae » Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:11 am

Why would you want to port Blender to a console? I mean, apart from the "Because we can!" aspect (which I'm all in favour of =)...
You'd have to completely redesign the interface - which is being discussed, yes, but not in that context - to compensate for the difference between a controller and a keyboard. Plus, you'd have little if any chance of exporting things you'd created. A script to export Blender outputs into console-usable forms could be of use, though.
Possibly it'd be useful to hack together some method of using linked consoles as render-farms, but I don't know how feasible that would really be.
However, something that might lend itself well to a console port would be some of Eskil's work (loq aquirou et al), which would adapt nicely to being manipulated by a controller. However, I think Eskil himself's too busy updating and expanding to work on a console port as well, so if you know how to port...
...because I can!

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Sat Jan 11, 2003 6:08 am

I believe the focus would be for using games created with blender on the consoles... a very interesting idea for sure! not to actually create content using the consoles as workstations. I would say go for it.. It would be similar to doing the web plugin... just for the different consoles. Not to say it would be that easy... but its the basic concept.

voidptr

Get real

Post by voidptr » Sat Jan 11, 2003 7:22 pm

And how many of you have XBox or Gamecube dev kits? The PS/2 is easy to come by because Sony decided to play ball with the hobby markets.

Trust me your not going to find many people with devkits willing to help. Me ... I have enough to do without supporting a slow game engine that will never be used.

voidptr

TorQ

Post by TorQ » Wed May 21, 2003 6:31 pm

At this time it is already possible to use Blender on the XBOX! You just have to have XBOX Linux installed. MY SUGGESTION is that someone creates a stripped down version of XBOX Linux so that is is optimized for playing only blender games.

TorQ

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Sat May 24, 2003 8:59 pm

and write opengl drivers for a forigen platform so that blender will run reasonably?

no thanks. THe xbox will probably be dead by then anyway. PCs stick around much longer than consoles with fewer changes, are easier to support and no dev-kits (or law breaking) necescary.

phase

Post by phase » Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:12 pm

Why is the Gameboy Advance missing in this poll ? :D

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:17 am

phase wrote:Why is the Gameboy Advance missing in this poll ? :D
you think the gba would run blender? (well)

it doesn't have a 3d chip at all, and also doing porting blender to that platform would be miserable.

tbaldridge

Post by tbaldridge » Mon Aug 04, 2003 4:25 pm

The Xbox uses a Nvidia chip. All of Nvidia's chips run off the same driver. I think porting to Xbox is a great idea (seeing as you can get one off of EBay for about $120)

beatabix

Post by beatabix » Mon Aug 04, 2003 5:24 pm

well, the gamecube is definitely out.
they use special mini-dvds that are burnt and spin backwards.
as far as i know, no-one has succeeded in hacking the 'cube.