Import SWF animation as a Texture?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Fred_Pyo

Import SWF animation as a Texture?

Post by Fred_Pyo »

How hard could it be to code a plugin (or hardcode it into Blender) with which you can specify a SWF file you want to load allowing you to use the animation as a texture for an object? Just wondering... (I'm not asking for you to code it, although that would be neat, I'm just considering the possibilities :roll: )

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

can't quicktime load swf files? ... though I don't know exacly how well that works

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo »

Well, I don't know how that app opens flash... The thing is, I think it would be interesting to be able to import a vector animation as a texture (for placing 2d sprites) and render them seamlessly with the 3d environment, this I think could come specially handy because the vector graphic will be small in size and LIKE we all know, there wouldn't be a size limitation... Hmmm... maybe I should start learing to code plug-ins for blender...

How hard can it actually be?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

There are tools that can convert a swf to an mpg or avi, I realy have no idea how hard creating an swf loader would be nor what sort of tools are available to do so,

good luck with the idea.

LetterRip

Brandano

Post by Brandano »

Depending on the kind of SWF making a reader can be either a little difficult or incredibly difficult. If you were to specify that the SWF to be used as texture has to be a keyframed animation, wth no actions, probably readig them is feasible. However, the SWF format isn't a simple format per se. SWF animations are actually interpreted by a virutal machine, and can be dynamically controlled by their scripting language. In any case the content of SWF files is mostly vectors (though you can have bitmaps in them as well, both JPG and PNG compressed, just to make life easier) and writing a reader for them isn't quite the easiest task. It's little wonder that while the file format is public the code for the browser plugin isn't

oyster

Post by oyster »

LetterRip wrote:There are tools that can convert a swf to an mpg or avi
Is there a free one, especially on windows?

poutsa

Post by poutsa »

Here:

http://www.pizzinini.net/projects/swf2avi/

seeYa

Vassilios Boucer