Armature development

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tron_thomas

Armature development

Post by tron_thomas »

I understand that substantial development has been going on with armature system in blender. The current CVS builds are broken with respect to skinning or binding armatures and meshes.

I am curious about when this functionality might be working again. Also, even though I know very little about how to perform this binding, I might be interested in helping out. Who would I contact about this?

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Actually I thought the same thing, but there is a fundemental change in the way meshes are auto-skinned. Check the new envelope type. You need to go to this bone draw mode and change the influence envelope of the bone. The default may not be big enough to skin your model. 's' changes the primary envelope of a bone (in editmode) and 'alt-s' changes the falloff area of the bone. It is very nice stuff!

tron_thomas

Post by tron_thomas »

I'm going to need more information on this because I couldn't get it to work.

I created a simple mesh and armature.

I made the armature a parent of the mesh.

I then went into the edit mode for the armature. In the Display Options I found an Envelope button. I activated that button and use the 'S' and 'Alt-S' keys to adjust the envelopes so they ecnompassed the vertices of the mesh.

When I went back into pose mose and rotated the armature, nothing would happen to the mesh.

What is the trick to getting this working?

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Ok...more specific

Add your mesh and your armature

Set the armature display options to envelope and resize the envelopes with S so they encompass the areas of the mesh you want to control

you have 3 control options now for armatures "Vertex Groups", "Envelopes" or both

In this case choose envelopes. Then parent your mesh to the armature, and choose "do not create groups" Now your armature should control the mesh based on the envelopes. If you create groups, it will use the envelopes and thier falloff size to do the initial weight painting.

Hope this helps