Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dogobe

New constraints

Post by dogobe »

Hi,

I am in the process of finishing two new constraints,

(1) Copy VertexGroup Location
(2) Track to VertexGroup

... basically allowing you to parent/track to a specified vertex position.

Are these things that other people would find useful? Should I be looking in to getting this checked in to CVS?

I am also very new to the coding process so if some one would like to fast track me that would help a lot.

Thanks

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

vertex parents exist

and with 3 verts selected you can parent to a face

... you could track to that object...

am I missing something or is this already possible?

dogobe

Post by dogobe »

... Doh! That's a method I have not used before - I am an old school geeza. This feature passed me by while I was sleeping or something.

I tried a simple softbody cloth and parented an empty to the corner face of the cloth using the vertext parent method. As long a I chose a single face I got good results.

I think I can use this method to get the results I need - basically to rig the automated animation of dredlocks - beter deformed using an armature than softbody (too jelly like). Basically map the armature tracking to some empties parented on to a softbody scalp/hat. I'll post my results on elysiun - vertex parenting could do with a little more promotion.

Cool I've learnt something new. Two things (1) how to use vertext parents (2) how to implement constraints.

... If anyone has a meaningful constraint that needs implementing I could consider doing it.

Very many thanks z3r0_d

env

Post by env »

Dogobe, I think that your two new constrains could be really useful anyway, at least with constrains the influence can be animated by ipos.

If you want a suggestion for one other constrain, what about a "shaking" effect constrain? I'll try to explain myself as better as I can:
- a bone is created for a fat vertex group of the mesh; rotating this bone simulates the jiggle of the fat but, you have to key the action of "shaking" by hand every time it's needed;
- so, instead you could apply a "shaking" constrain to this bone: every time a "target" bone hit the "ground" (and the floor constrain could be useful for this) the "shaking" bone automatically has a "shaking" :) ; in the constrain panel you can set the speed and the duration of the effect.
Don't know if this is clear.

EnV

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: New constraints

Post by jesterKing »

dogobe wrote: Are these things that other people would find useful? Should I be looking in to getting this checked in to CVS?

I am also very new to the coding process so if some one would like to fast track me that would help a lot.

Thanks
In the very least you could add it to the patch tracker (< link). Apart from that, do join the coders channel on freenode (#blendercoders), and ask people for input/review.

http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Get_Involved.233.0.html has also a bit of info.

/Nathan