blender with 64 bits

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bannerboy

blender with 64 bits

Post by bannerboy »

I have recently ordered a new Motherboard and AMD Athalon64 dual core processor(it's in the mail), and I am wondering how well blender is going to take advantage of 64 bits, and two processors. I do use cvs blender builds as a matter of habbit, so version isn't an issue. Where I'm espescially curious is softbodies, I've started to experiment with them and have discovered that they are a killer for processing power.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

Multiple processors will be used when rendering with the threaded renderer. On the other issues, there are some efforts underway to get Blender 64bit clean again (it has been in the grey past).

/Nathan

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy »

what about softbodies? That's my real big headache. I'm getting tired of waiting 24 hours to see some results. do they take advantage of multiple processors/64bits?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

no

why are you doing such complex stuff with softbodies anyway?... erm, what are you using softbodies for?

bannerboy

Post by bannerboy »

I'm using them for clothing. At my desired resolution, it takes 1 hour per frame. I'm working on simplifying things, but it's a big isue.