Project Files for Dev-C++ ?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FastEddy

Project Files for Dev-C++ ?

Post by FastEddy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:42 am

Hi,
are there some project files for Dev-C++ or can the existing ones directly be imported into this devel-IDE?
[D X I . s t u d i o s] --- [ Join my current project: SF2 Intro-Animation ]

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:57 pm

I don't belive anybody has been successfull compiling blender [without significant modification to the makefiles] using mingw in windows

[it compiles just fine wtih mingw in cygwin]

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:56 pm

the makefiles and scons are both getting overhauled - jesterking said the scons and mingw was working good as of yesterday...

LetterRip

FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:06 am

Thanks.
I thought I could import the whole project to the IDE, because it would have been easier to just look/play around a little.
Seems like I have to install some additional software...

best regards

russose

Post by russose » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:04 am

Hallo,

I have nothing against Dev-C++ but may I suggest you to have a look on:

http://www.codeblocks.org/

It can really import visual C++ project files… I was quite impressed! it can use any compiler you wand (cygwin, mingw…and I hope for later evc!).

But if you decide to go in this direction, may I suggest (to save you some trouble I had):
1) To install the official version
2) Download and copy correctly a more recent “developer” version: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php? ... icseen#new
3) Install the last dbg 6.3 if you want to debug: http://prdownloads.sf.net/mingw/gdb-6.3-1.exe?download

Or wait some days or week that the new official version is released.

You will also have to configure correctly the library to link… in the right order! If the linker doesn’t manage to link, let’s consider again the order of the library (Library with more de-pendencies down).

It take me some time to make it work but now that it work, it is working very very good!

Good Luck,
Salvatore

FastEddy

Post by FastEddy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:52 pm

Wow! Great stuff!
That's worth more than only a look. I've just downloaded the files acording to your advice and I'll try working on this the next few days.
It can really import visual C++ project files…
That will make things a lot easier. With Dev-C++ my problems began right there!

Tanks a lot for your tip. :-)
I will try out the next few days on my own, but may I contact you again in case I get in trouble?

with best regards

russose

Post by russose » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:53 am

No problem! If you have big problem, you can post here and I will provide you the information you need if I have it of course :=)

The forum of code::Block is also very active!!

Just an other remark... for each project, use O2 in the compiler option... you can have a look on the Sconsript file... and see all compiler and linker flag you need.

Good luck :=)
Salvatore

kisolre

Post by kisolre » Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:10 pm

russose: could you please give some more information about library order for linking? I tryed and succesfully compiled most ot the projects but when linking "Blender" project it gives me a lot od "undefined reference to..." errors...

Also how did you handle cmd shell commands in PostBuil step (If, Echo, ...)?

Or post yours Code::Blocks .cbp and .workspace files?

russose

Post by russose » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:19 pm

Hallo,

If one library is forgotten in the linker, it will give you lot of link errors… So in Option -> linker… make sure you have ALL libraries… ONE library per project… (for information, makesdna is not a library). And don’t forget the EXTERN and INTERN libraries like python, SDL, png, etc…
Then, put the “global” libraries down… For exemple, Opengl is used by lot of functions so it should be putted down. As general rules, from down to top, put all extern libraries, then in-tern, then blender libraries…

Then if the linker complain about png functions, put the png library a little down… from down to top…if BKE_* function are not linked, put the Blenderkernel.lib down…but before the first intern library.

You can have a look here:

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=1760.0

I am trying to port Blender to pocketpc that’s why my project files are not immediately use-able...It will be probably quicker to make your project work as take mine and modify it. But if you want to use my project files, give me your email and I will send it to you.
If you use my project files, you will need at least to copy each project from “intern” in the “make” folder of the intern libraries (in the same way as Visual Studio Project). You will also have to replace all file “with *CE at the end” by the original file… the same for includes directory and libraries…
If I have time tonight, I will have a look on these libraries to provide you exactly which order the libraries should have.

I hope it helps.

Good luck,
Salvatore

kisolre

Post by kisolre » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:27 pm

reordering libraries works so far.Long trial and error course :)

How did you solved the post-install errors? Code::Blocs command execution does not supprot shell commands (If, Echo, ...).
I added "cmd /c " at beginnigs of every problematic line.

Also rearranged projects so projects that depend on other are lower and now I can build the whole workspace at once...

russose

Post by russose » Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:43 pm

Ah :=) Happy to hear that it works now!
I only wanted to compile Blender to be able to debug my pocketpc code on my computer… nothing more. So I didn’t spent time with the problem you mentioned. Sorry…

For the project order, the only thing you need to take care is to put Blender at the end never-theless, it will not find the “not yet compiled” library. And of course, makesdna need to be treated separately (I personally deactivated it) because it is an independent small program to generate DNA.c… As soon as you have DNA.c (and you are not changing deeply Blender code), you don’t need it (as I understood).

See you,
Salvatore

RRuiz

Post by RRuiz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:04 pm

kisolre, I been trying and trying . . can you post your workspace and/or cbp to gide me . . I'm a little lost now :(.

Thanks

malCanDo

Post by malCanDo » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:08 pm

I just downloaded Code Blocks myself as an IDE to compile and debug Blender within, it would be cool to get some more info on it in this thread as well!

I got Blender compiled using SCONS with the create tutorial here...

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... 2_tutorial

For editing changes etc, I'm hoping to use Code Blocks to organise the whole project in a more structured fashion.

Regards...
Mal