OSX audio crashes - Randall Rickert are you out there?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

For the last few days Blender has been randomly crashing while creating a posed animation with audio syncing.

I've looked at the crash log and it is very, very long (and frankly, means nothing to me) but looks like the issue may be audio related. Is there a "best" place to post the log output where someone could analyse it and determine the cause of the crash.

I never suffered this problem with either 2.37a or 2.4alpha. This is the first time I've tried a synced animation with 2.40 and the crashes have occurred from the start.

OSX 10.3.9
Blender 2.40
Python 2.3

(also asked in elysiun)
Last edited by AndyD on Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy D

I'm a great speller but a hopless tpyist

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Yep,

upload a blend file to the bug tracker, and the log output also.

See Bug Trackers in the side bar.

LetterRip

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Posted in bug tracker a few days ago but am not familiar with how thae system works. Some posted after are under investigation while mine and many posted before are not.

Clearly others are not experiencing the same problem since it is debilitating and would be widely reported I think. Blender can crash within a few minutes or go without crashing for 20 minutes - but it always crashes on this file. Testing with 2.4a2 shows it crashes too.

The crucial part of the crash log suggests it is audio related and maybe something to do with memcpy?.....

OS Version: 10.3.9 (Build 7W98)
Thread: 2
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000000

Thread 2 Crashed:
0 <<00000000>> 0xffff8a48 __memcpy + 0x2a8
1 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x00085bcc audio_fill + 0x1ac
(crt.c:355)
2 org.blenderfoundation.blender 0x0055cdf4 audioCallback + 0xfc
3 ...pple.audio.units.Components 0x99008c58 DefaultOutputAUEntry + 0x7864
4 ...pple.audio.units.Components 0x990c5fb4 0x99000000 + 0xc5fb4
5 ...pple.audio.units.Components 0x990c5ce4 0x99000000 + 0xc5ce4
6 ....audio.toolbox.AudioToolbox 0x93b47730 AudioConverterChain::CallInputProc(unsigned long) + 0x14c
......etc

I think this is also related to a problem I mentioned some time ago with the alpha release wherein the audio regularly corrupts requiring a file to be saved and reloaded to resume normal scrub/sync playback.

I tried to add more info to my bug tracker report but got "permission denied" despite being logged in. I wished to add that I have:

Mac G4, 1.25GHz PPC
ATI Radeon9000 (apparently), 64Mb Video card
768Mb DDR SDRAM

If this sheds any light on the problem.

I tried re-encoding the audio track (10secondclub file) by exporting from VLC but to no avail - it still crashes. Not sure if the audio file would cause this problem anyway, it seems more like a handling error.

Getting frustrated :( Is no one else with OS 10.3.9 animating and/or experiencing similar problems?
Andy D

lukep

Post by lukep »

try 2.41. some openAL problems were corrected. no guarantee though.

the file you gave in bugtracker, never crash for me, so it is difficult to find the problem ;)

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Thanks lukep, I'll try d/ling 2.41 again tonight (wasn't there when I tried yesterday).

Do you know if this error (in crash log) could result from the video card, even though it appears to be audio related and if so, do you have ATI or nVidia or something else? I tried it on a system with a nVidia card and it didn't crash but I didn't really have long enough to push it.

I honestly don't know how to determine the audio hardware specs on a Mac?!?

The last animation I did in 2.4a2 suffered the regular audio corruption but it didn't crash like this animation does. I guess my next step is to determine what sorts of things could cause this sort of crash so I can investigate further. Any ideas?

EDIT: Downloaded 2.41 and just tried moving random bones (using rotation widget), scrubbing the timeline back and forth in the Action window (Note: Autokey is set ON) then I tried to animate..... crash.

Another problem which arises is that if I undo bone movements it causes random ("temporary") freezes, audio corruption and sometimes precedes a crash. I say "temporary" because the 3D view won't animate or move on frame advances unless I select a bone and translate it. This will either free the animation up or crash Blender. The crash log is the same every time regardless.

I tried making a simple file with just 3 bones and a different audio track. I thrashed it around for a couple of minutes with no problem and whilst performing an "undo" several times didn't crash it, the audio playback was corrupted.

Clearly I have an issue with audio but I have no idea where to start looking for an answer to it :(

EDIT: Just tried the original problem file in 2.37a and although it was a mess visually (it's a 2.4 project) it worked fine doing the same sort of thrashing and undoing as above (admittedly a quick test). It didn't corrupt the audio playback and it didn't crash. So I assume it's not a hardware/OS problem as such but something that's changed in the audio handling by Blender... if that's any help?!?
Andy D

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

I saw Randall's entry in the bug tracker and feel he's experiencing much the same problem as I am.

Randall - if you're reading this can we possibly share some specs and run a few "similar" tests to see if we can relaibly reproduce the conditions leading to a crash.

Have you tried doing the same things in 2.37a? My short test suggests the problem arose in 2.4x and I'd be interest d to know if you agree.

I had assumed this was limited to OS10.3.9 but your experience suggests this isn't the case so it would be interesting to see what our systems have in common that other OSXers don't have.

I've posted some of my hardware specs above.

If Randall doesn't frequent the forums, can someone possibly point him in my direction please?

(If nothing elese, at least now I know I'm not going crazy alone!)
Andy D

lukep

Post by lukep »

from both reports, i have now impression it is due to restarts of OpenAL.

In that case, that could be the same error as we experienced before in GE.

problem now is to find what is wrong in init

badcheese

Post by badcheese »

Hi Andy,

I'm Randall, and indeed I have frequent crashing with audio. For me it happens less often in 2.40 and 2.41 than in older versions, where it was almost unusable. I have to sync to audio all the time in my work, so now I'm in the habit of saving before each time I play back the animation. I don't bother scrubbing because then it crashes far too much to be useful.

I figured it might have something to do with using a 2-CPU Mac, and that's why there aren't too many people complaining about it. I find threading problems that no one has reported yet. But if you have a single-processor machine, maybe that's not the problem. I think maybe you have a different problem from me, because older Blender versions are much worse for me.

Funny thing is that if I try to make a test file, it's very hard to get a crash. But if I have a big scene and I don't play back audio for a long time because I'm modeling or tweaking keys or something, when I play back audio it is almost guaranteed to either crash or to play back corrupted, like a loud screeching noise.

If you come up with a way to reproduce the crash reliably, I would really like to hear about it!

-Randall Rickert

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Mine is a two-year-old G4 single processor. It's possible that 2.37 does have the problem but I'm only just getting into real animation and never used audio in 2.37 except in a short test (which survived - even the playback). I did complete one animation in 2.4alpha2 and while the audio corrupted all the time (every few minutes), I honestly don't remember it crashing much, if at all but I did try it last week with my current project and it crashed a few times.

Currently I'm animating with bones (same character my previous animation used) so that's what I've been testing with (though it seems unlikely bones have much to do with it). It's a very simple scene with a low-poly mesh and a very basic armature, nothing else except the audio.

The closest I've come to reliably causing a crash is to perform multiple bone moves with a typical character rig - keying and changing frames as I go - then perform multiple undo's. If this doesn't crash Blender, it will almost certainly corrupt the audio.

Like you, I'm saving as often as possible but of course, there's always that one time where you just change back to frame 1, ready to animate and bang! it's gone.

One thing that I also noticed was a little odd. My animation is set to start at frame 10 but on some occasions when doing a preview animation (Opt-A), the cursor frame counter would show frame 9 for a few seconds, then Blender crashed. This has occurred a number of times, always frame 9, and the crash report is exactly the same as reported here.

I wonder if you could download my .blend from the bug tracker and see if you can crash it with multiple bone keys followed by three or four undo's?
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/dow ... PACK.blend
"OSX.3.9, Blender 2.40, Py2.3 - random crashes, audio related?"

Thanks for responding. Hopefully this bug can be tracked down and squished.
Andy D

lukep

Post by lukep »

it will try to produce a gcc 4.0 build to check it is not an ABI problem.

will report there

badcheese

Post by badcheese »

I played with that blend file. The audio definitely gets corrupted after a few keys and a few undos, but it didn't crash for me. I noticed something else though. The audio doesn't scrub when the file is first opened. First I have to play the animation with Alt-A. After that, the audio scrubbing works.

-Randall

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

The audio doesn't scrub when the file is first opened. First I have to play the animation with Alt-A. After that, the audio scrubbing works.
Yes, I noticed that too but it isn't enough of a problem to really bother me - yet. Even the audio corruption is bearable given that it doesn't interrupt workflow too much (though it can hurt the ears if you're working with earphones!) and no data is lost. But the crashing is painful and makes firing up Blender a less-than-pleasurable experience.
Andy D

lukep

Post by lukep »

AndyD wrote:
The audio doesn't scrub when the file is first opened. First I have to play the animation with Alt-A. After that, the audio scrubbing works.
Yes, I noticed that too but it isn't enough of a problem to really bother me - yet. Even the audio corruption is bearable given that it doesn't interrupt workflow too much (though it can hurt the ears if you're working with earphones!) and no data is lost. But the crashing is painful and makes firing up Blender a less-than-pleasurable experience.
I've just compiled a new openal library. (the old one was compiled with old gcc and this may be cause of the problems). will upload shortly, doing some tests first.

however no openexr in this build

lukep

Post by lukep »

new openal & gcc4 test build.

http://jlp.nerim.net/dev/openal-test-blender.zip

i was not able to crash this build even if in ballercoaster game, sound may fail after several (many) restarts.

note this build is incomplete & experimental (no openexr) and should not be used for valuble work till it is tested thoroughly

AndyD

Post by AndyD »

Thanks Luke. I've tested for a short while and so far, so good. No audio corruption or Blender crash.

The only thing which still happens (not critical and presumably unrelated) is that after some undoes, the 3D view animation effectively freezes until a bone is manipulated.

I don't really know what exactly OpenEXR delivers in Blender so I don't know how much it matters?

I just noticed Add Audio in Sequencer has changed in this build. Can you explain the difference between RAM and HD (HD reports "not a sound file" when I try it).

Thanks again.
Andy D