64-bit Linux build use CVS?

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

grimey

64-bit Linux build use CVS?

Post by grimey »

I want to verify that I should use CVS to build 64-bit on Linux, correct? At least that's what I've read in the forums.

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

There are builds for 64bit linux on the downloads page.

If your just in general wanting to build from source, I would always
recommend using cvs vs one of the downloadable tarballs. If your going through all of the work of compiling blender you'll want the
nice new features in cvs.

grimey

Post by grimey »

Are you referring to the "testing binaries"? If so, are they stable? The name "testing" confuses me.

grimey

Post by grimey »

Ok, guys, got the 64-bit testing binaries installed and it renders fine. This is what I get

$ ./blender -b coilandblock.blend -f 1
Using Python version 2.4
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
Render 99%
Saved: /tmp/0001.jpg Time: 00:13.17

Blender quit

I obviously need to set $pythonhome, but 64-bit is good! Render time in windows is 26:32.

I don't understand why it uses Python 2.4 but then says I need to set $Pythonhome...?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

Python 2.4 is default you can set it to 2.3 or 2.2 in your user-def.mk or scons file,

LetterRip

grimey

Post by grimey »

I got some benchmarks for the LSF grid I'm using and the testing binaries from download page. Currently, I'm using the built-in load-sharing facilities in LSF, I will implement the LSF system directly in a while plus some benchmarks comparing intel and gcc compilers.

Anyway, 5000 frames at 1024 x 1280 in 8 minutes, so roughly 18 Gig of video data generation, and that includes transfer back to the head node. BTW, the video is about 2.5 minutes long in real-time.

...it takes almost an hour to transfer it from head node to my local computer though...my life sucks 8)