cygwin + gcc = blender.exe

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tankcoder

cygwin + gcc = blender.exe

Post by tankcoder » Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:37 am

Hey all,

I compiled blender the other day with cygwin and gcc sucessfully (no ms crap). It runs under X which is a slight dissapointment but the only way around this is by compiling with mingw. I tried compiling with mingw the other day but I had to hack a lot of windows related source to death which ended up with some errors when it finally got around to compiling blender.exe in the end. I give credits to Hos for helping me so much through this and actually beating me to it, and also LarstiQ who provided some good and bad info about compiling it also ;). I'll probably post the changes I made and how to get around the troubles I faced (grrr... makesdna) sometime next week. Anyways, I'm totally out of it right now, later!

TankCoder-

P.S. Ohh yeah, I compiled it with the excelent auto* features that have been added in, thanks everyone working on that! =)

tankcoder

Compiling tips

Post by tankcoder » Sat Feb 01, 2003 2:46 am

Here are the compiling tips if you want to do it

http://mysite.iptic.com/tankcoder/blend ... cygwin.txt

Have fun =)

TankCoder-

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Sun Feb 02, 2003 8:46 pm

how about a binary?!?

Saluk

Post by Saluk » Mon Mar 31, 2003 11:53 pm

Hail Ilpalazzo!!!

sorry, couldn't help myself:)

I'm nabeshin!

LethalSideParting

Post by LethalSideParting » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:59 pm

Hiya TankCoder,

Well done getting the beast compiled!! Re. your instructions: you couldn't host the .txt somewhere else or post a copy here in the forum, could you? I just tried accessing it, and Mysite.Iptic.com doesn't exist anymore :cry: , I seem to remember hearing something about this on elysiun.com? Thank you! :D

LethalSideParting

tankcoder

Post by tankcoder » Sat Apr 05, 2003 5:22 am

it really is useless to compile blender in cygwin, it works and everything but it must run inside the Cygwin X11 window, and is REALLY REALLY slow... I'm trying to get blender to compile with mingw now but my pc is so slow and I'm on a 56k modem, I've almost given up... for now. I might get a new pc this summer.. yay!

TankCoder-

thorax

Post by thorax » Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:35 am

tankcoder wrote:it really is useless to compile blender in cygwin, it works and everything but it must run inside the Cygwin X11 window, and is REALLY REALLY slow... I'm trying to get blender to compile with mingw now but my pc is so slow and I'm on a 56k modem, I've almost given up... for now. I might get a new pc this summer.. yay!

TankCoder-
Well why not use GetRight.. Its what I use.. I just leave it downloading
while I'm working on other stuff.. The Mingnw distribution takes a couple of
horus to download, right?

Bekecs

Post by Bekecs » Fri May 16, 2003 11:42 am

Why not copy/paste it here? :shock:
My company's firewall is blocking getright and similar stuff. :evil:

renderedbrian

Post by renderedbrian » Sun May 25, 2003 9:24 pm

compiling with MingW?

do tell!

--
Brian

strubi

Post by strubi » Thu Jun 12, 2003 11:51 am

tankcoder wrote:it really is useless to compile blender in cygwin, it works and everything but it must run inside the Cygwin X11 window, and is REALLY REALLY slow... I'm trying to get blender to compile with mingw now but my pc is so slow and I'm on a 56k modem, I've almost given up... for now. I might get a new pc this summer.. yay!

TankCoder-
Hi there,

I've got blender 2.26 to compile in Cygwin using the standard Win32 API (no X), but needed to change a few files (put in extra #ifdef __CYGWIN__). It still depends on the cygwin1.dll though.
Is there any attempt to make it work with later versions (or does it even work with the current?)

Cheers,

- strubi

Hos

Post by Hos » Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:11 pm

Hi Strubi,

The info from this post is a bit obsolete: here is
a methodology for creating a blender executable
using cygwin/gcc such that is doesn't depend on
cygwin/X11:

http://projects.blender.org/viewcvs/vie ... cvs-markup

Chris

jebas

Post by jebas » Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:29 pm

How did you get around makesdna? Everytime I try to compile that section, all of the includes are missing.

Hos

Post by Hos » Fri Jun 13, 2003 5:28 am

jebas wrote:How did you get around makesdna? Everytime I try to compile that section, all of the includes are missing.
Never seen that prob .. maybe check out fresh sources.

Chris

jebas

Post by jebas » Fri Jun 13, 2003 1:38 pm

Ufortunately this happens with both the 2.27 and the latest CVS code. I've looked at the Makefile, and it appears to be correct, but everytime I attempt a build, none of the includes appear in the compile line. I'm rather confused about it myself.

I was hoping to build a X, cygwin version because blender and my video driver do not play nicely.