Blender 3D + XGL - compiz

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

rcas

Blender 3D + XGL - compiz

Post by rcas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:38 am

It works, but slower.

It looks as if XGL tries to draw the desktop background on Blender and Blender keeps redrawing. This only shows on Mouse movement on the 3D window, there has to be an event.

Is there a way to workaround this situation? Has anyone used XGL so far with Blender ?

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm using Dapper Drake + Xgl + Compiz (Xgl replaces X.org as main X server) and I have only minor problems running blender.

My problems include:
1. Immediate crashes when font size is changed or textured fonts are turned off
2. F12 dosen't render. Seems to be captured by the compiz window manager. Tried to get rid of this but blender still isn't seeing the keystroke.

Otherwise, blender runs just as fast as I'm used to. Much faster than on OS X.

rcas

Post by rcas » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:49 pm

Can you describe to me how you configured to use XGL + compiz.

I'm asking this because there seem to be inumerous ways of doing the same thing, and maybe I need to do it in another way.

Oh, and are you using the latest Quinn packages or the default ones that come with Dapper ?

Thanks,

-- Rui --
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:57 am

So, I used the packages (I think they are Quinnstorm's) from the custom repositories referenced here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CompositeManage ... =%28xgl%29

I originally followed instructions from that page to run Xgl as a session overlaid on X.org. (Method A on that page) This didn't work b/c the displays conflicted, for reasons that I'm unsure of.

Method B (changing GDM not to use X.org at all) worked well, And after toning down the rediculous wobbling and wibbling and darkening and lightening I was able to run pretty much everything inc. Blender. The only problems I've encountered are the F12 key not being recognized and VLC spewing artifacts in non-movie areas of its window and a slight video flicker.

Course, I havent tried to run any games, plus I'm using the nvidia drivers for my fx5600. It's not a terrible card, but it's hardly special.

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Fri Jun 09, 2006 5:49 pm

updating to the latest versions of compiz fixed the F12 problem. All hail automatic updates!

rcas

Post by rcas » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:46 pm

Tried that method and couldn't get XGL to start.

Oh and using old method of .Xsession in gnome still gets Blender slower.
How to use a Blender:

rcas

Post by rcas » Mon Jun 12, 2006 4:31 pm

Ok, the latest update lets me run Blender smoother, but I have to do the following:
- Run Blender in window mode -w
- Set CPU speed to maximum (Centrino speedstep tech)

After I do that it works fine, else it will get some slowlessness issues.
How to use a Blender: