Synchronizing animations to music

Compiling, libraries, modules, coding guidelines and porting

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

KidShinobe

Synchronizing animations to music

Post by KidShinobe »

I am working on a project in which I model a grand piano and animate each key such that it can "play" a song when synchronized to the notes. If anyone has heard of animusic (www.animusic.com) you should get a sense of what I mean. I am hoping to find an easier and more precise way to sync the animations aside from timing them note by note. If anyone is aware of any features that Blender offers, or knows of a way to accomplish this task using code, please let me know. (Also, I have heard that 3Dmax or Maya may have these capabilities). Thanks!

greboide

Post by greboide »

you would like to take a look at blenmidi or blender midi or midi blender, in fact i dont remember the exact name but there is some development in this area inside blender that you will find useful for the sync, i hope it helps.

jedrzej_s

Re: Synchronizing animations to music

Post by jedrzej_s »

KidShinobe wrote:I am working on a project in which I model a grand piano and animate each key such that it can "play" a song when synchronized to the notes. If anyone has heard of animusic (www.animusic.com) you should get a sense of what I mean. I am hoping to find an easier and more precise way to sync the animations aside from timing them note by note. If anyone is aware of any features that Blender offers, or knows of a way to accomplish this task using code, please let me know. (Also, I have heard that 3Dmax or Maya may have these capabilities). Thanks!
I also need this same features in Blender...

psyborgue

Maya, after effects

Post by psyborgue »

I know that maya does not have the capability to use sound to drive anything. I was looking for this feature in maya a year ago. Sound nodes in maya have no suitable outputs.

Eventually I used after effect's visualization plugins to create an animated texture sequence (synched to the music) which i fed into blender as a texture source driving hair(particle) intensity. Basically this resulted in an animated graphic equalizer to the music. It also drove alpha and incandescence.

One could use such a sequence for displacements or lots of other things. However midi blender seems more of what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.

freen

guitar

Post by freen »

I'm currently working on a similar thing for guitar.
I'm hoping to be able to input tabliture music and get the strings to vibrate in time and a the right point on the kneck.

Early days yet. Many more questions to ask.