Maya, Max, XSI Interaction a possibility?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Bizzle

Maya, Max, XSI Interaction a possibility?

Post by Bizzle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:57 am

First of all let me say this is my first post. I've been watching Blender now for quite a few years and I'm very impressed with the leaps it has taken. I'm also impressed at how amazingly powerful it is for being a free product. There is great power in creating something for the love of it rather than the money or the fame.

I'm a long time user of Maya and Animation:Master. They are powerful, but I love what Blender has done in how customizable it is...that is, except for one thing: the interface. Being a professional, I have used MANY apps in production: Maya, XSI, Wings3D, Max, and proprietary tools. The one thing that these programs have going for them that allows me to use them in my pipeline is that they can all emulate eachother. Being a Maya user, I can go into XSI and set the keys to Maya QWERTY. I can do it in Wings and in our proprietary software. I get into Blender, and I am totally lost. No one way is better than the other, but being able to jump from one package to another is invaluable to my pipeline. Blender is left out of it due to the fact that you open it up and you have NO idea where to go. The controls are totally different, the vocabulary is different, and the windows are pretty different.

Now, before anyone starts replying because they are a Blender super user and begin bashing me for my ignorance and blindness for not seeing the superiority of Blender, I have worked in Blender a lot, and got the hang of a few things, but I cannot maintain it when I am in Maya all day and come home and have to relearn Blender at night. I see Blender for what it is: a powerful tool that can do amazing things and has incredible potential. But to me, all it needs is one thing to fit into my, an many other's, pipelines: The ability to customize keys or at least change the settings to Maya or XSI, or MAX, or whatever. That alone would boost Blender into a real contender in my opinion.

I for one would love to see that.

So, I pose my question:

Are there any plans to include keysets for other software packages in the future? If so, wonderful. If not, I'll probably not be able to fit Blender into my pipeline.

I know I'm digging up old garbage, but it never seems to have been answered. Hack, slash, and stab away!

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:04 am

The one thing that these programs have going for them that allows me to use them in my pipeline is that they can all emulate eachother.
Set them all to look like Blender and you should be good to go.

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi Bizzle,
The underlying key events system (and other device events) in blender is rather old. That needs a refactoring ( is on it's way ) and that will open the path to user key binding and also other things like connecting spaceballs etc.

That will 'solve' the key binding stuff.
For workflow,... I'm not so sure; I think the reason to use another app is because of it's other workflow.

Bizzle

Post by Bizzle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:52 pm

Sounds good.

I know other people have talked about this, but everyone jsut screams that they want it their way. The ability to customize is all it needs to solve all of those issues. If that is on it's way (soon, I hope!), then that's all that needs to happen to satisfy the masses and make Blender more accessible to everyone.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:05 pm

Custom keybindings, menus, etc. is targeted for after the 2.43 release (which will occur end of December or so).

LetterRip

Bizzle

Post by Bizzle » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:27 pm

Perfect. That's all I needed to know.

buonnguqua

Post by buonnguqua » Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:54 pm

Wow, I wish next release of Blender have custom key and UI :roll:
Blender is great 3d app with fast performance, less use RAM, have good function to make game art :lol:
but I learned and I 'm using Maya ,
if I want change to use Blender , I may be spent many months to use it skilled :cry:

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:58 pm

According to someone who teaches 3DS Max for a living he was able to become fairly productive (though a bit slower due to lack of familiarity) with Blender in about a week.

So the relearning curve probably isn't as steep as you think,

LetterRip

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:54 pm

buonnguqua wrote:Wow, I wish next release of Blender have custom key and UI :roll:
Blender has custom UI ...

BlackBoe

Post by BlackBoe » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Joeri: No it doesn't. :P It has customizable window positions, this--while related--is almost completely NOT what these people are talking about.

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:57 pm

BlackBoe wrote:Joeri: No it doesn't. :P It has customizable window positions, this--while related--is almost completely NOT what these people are talking about.
It has the same customizable windows as Maya.
Custustomizable number of (sub)windows, customizable position and customizable content.

None of the 3d packages have an option to change order of workflow, or to add/remove buttons to windows or to create own window types, blender does ( if one knows a simple language as C or python, C is simpler then MEL btw. )

buonnguqua

Post by buonnguqua » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:44 pm

joeri, You have it :D

or you know where to download it

Lomacar

Post by Lomacar » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:10 pm

I too definitely would like a way to customize hotkeys. There are some problems though when you try to remap hotkeys to look like another program, because there will always be some functions in [Blender] that have no corresponding one in [Maya/XSI/3ds MAX]. And unfortunately Blender seems to have a lot of important hidden functions that can only be accessed through hotkeys (correct me if I am wrong). That is another thing that should be addressed, revealing all commands through the menus.

So I would just like to go to the preferences and see a categorized list of all commands in blender with the ability to assign hotkeys to any one, possibly restricting the hotkey to certain modes like editing or sculpting (I'm new to Blender so I might not know what I am talking about), and getting a warning if you would be overwriting an existing hotkey assignment.

joeri

Post by joeri » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:18 pm

I'm pretty sure developers can work out a way to make the user connect keys to functions. There might even be a way to save/load these settings so people can release there "Maya/Xsi/Max/Modo/Wings" bindings. But don't expect to much from it. Maya now has interactive object ceation (pretty much like in sketchup) and Modo has visual feedback on slider changing. You can map all you want but these workflows are not implemented with a simple keybinding.

Getting a list of all functions in blender is already in blender.
Help -> Hotkey reference. Now if you can find one that is not there report it in the bugtracker!

Now normaly I would suggest that looking at the help would be a good idea, except with blender (ofcourse) only they can create a help that points to a no longer existing webpage.