Menus and dialogs sometimes invisible

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

chainzz347

Menus and dialogs sometimes invisible

Post by chainzz347 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:53 am

I'm new here and first of all I want to say that Blender is an awesome program, it's amazing what has been achieved by the foundation, the developers and the community.

I have a problem with the newest version of Blender (2.42a). Sometimes dialogs, menus and things like the border select tool and brush select tool don't show up. For example, when I hit 'b' for border select tool, the border select tool is activated, but I can't see what I am selecting, the dashed line doesn't show up.
Another example: when i hit 'q' to quit Blender, the dialog with 'OK? Quit Blender' doesn't show up, but when I hit my left-mousebutton Blender does exit.
So it looks like Blender executes all the actions bound to the hotkeys, but it doesn't show it.

I am running Linux, the distribution is Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft, and the problem happens with both the Blender version in the Ubuntu repositories and the version downloaded from the Blender.org site (i386, dynamic, Python 2.4)
By the way, I am using the proprietary 2.31.5 ATI Linux display drivers.

I hope I've described the problem well enough for you to understand. Any ideas?

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:21 am

What video card? The problem is almost certainly some setting on your opengl - try turning off hardware accellerated opengl off and use software opengl if the problem still exists then it is a bug in blender, if it doesn't then it is a bug in the driver and should be reported to your driver vendor.

Either way if you can post the results that might be useful and possibly there is a work around.

LetterRip

ibkanat

Post by ibkanat » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:25 am

You arent try to use beryl are you? I have that problem when I use that.
I have Kubuntu 6.10 nvidia. AMD 64 Turion x2

chainzz347

Post by chainzz347 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:45 pm

I installed the 8.32.5 ATI proprietary drivers and restarted and now the problem seems to be solved.

I don't use Beryl, XGL or anything like that. My videocard is an ATI Radeon 9600 XT.