Odd selection bug

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

evilkillerfiggin

Odd selection bug

Post by evilkillerfiggin »

I am attempting to use blender on a laptop running Ubuntu; It's the standard one from the ubuntu repositories; I have Emulate 3 Button Mouse enabled as recommended.

However, I'm having problems selecting things:

Object mode and Edit mode are both equally temperamental: I can only select with Ctrl-RMB (I was under the impression you only needed RMB?) and only from some angles and not others. The consequence is I have to keep rotating the viewpoint for up to minutes before being able to get on working.

When clicking and failing to select, I get a weird effect: whatever is in the 3D viewport is randomly magnified and superimposed over the panel. I can't imagine this is a feature, but couldn't find any mention of it as a bug during a cursory scan of these forums.

This was an annoyance with objects and their vertices, but it always got there in the end; Now however I'm attempting to learn how to use armatures, and these resolutely refuse to be selected.

Am I being incredible daft here? I am pretty new to blender, coupled with the fact that I don't know all that much about the hardware or configuration I'm running it on. I'm hoping this is just some graphics card/driver related thing that can be fixed quickly and allow me to get back to work, but I wouldn't know how to go about fixing it.

Can anyone help me here? If so, thanks in advance.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

what graphics card and driver are you using?

also, are you running at 16 bit color? 15? 24?
[this would all be in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf]