Sculpt mode - suggestion

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

CG_Tiger

Sculpt mode - suggestion

Post by CG_Tiger »

The sculpt mode is awesome, but will the development continue?

I have a suggestion-

1) The tile option in brush panel acts like a stencil. In mudbox, they have a preview of the tile, and when you start painting, the preview disappears.
This makes it easier to sculpt in the details.
Maybe, adding a hotkey to display the tile will be faster.

example of use-
So, the user will enable the tile mode, and hit hotkey to show tile.
Size the tile, with preview this operation is easier, rather than the hit and miss in 2.43.
Press the hotkey to hide tile, then sculpt the area of interest.

Jeremy Ray

Post by Jeremy Ray »

It seems to me that this kind of thing is better done with the displacement modifier and texture paint and/or a 2D app like Pshop or Gimp. Texture paint is at an early stage of development and clunky to use, but I don't see much awareness yet of how it can be used in combination with sculpt mode to do things (like fine details) that probably shouldn't be done by multirezing up to 10 million faces and directly pushing vertices. IMO texture paint is about 1000X more valuable than sculpt mode and and I'd far prefer more texture paint development to more sculpt mode development.

Gustav Göransson

Post by Gustav Göransson »

Jeremy Ray wrote:It seems to me that this kind of thing is better done with the displacement modifier and texture paint and/or a 2D app like Pshop or Gimp. Texture paint is at an early stage of development and clunky to use, but I don't see much awareness yet of how it can be used in combination with sculpt mode to do things (like fine details) that probably shouldn't be done by multirezing up to 10 million faces and directly pushing vertices.
hmm, generating displacement maps from your sculpted high-poly meshes and apply it to a low-res model is a very popular in method in other softwares today. Way faster (in most cases) than painting your displacement map in a 2D application, WYSIWYG. Unfortunately this isn't possible in blender today by my knowledge and blender don't have microdisplacment either...

sure I would also like to see improvements in Texture paint tool, but sculpting are here to stay, and will be come more important thats for sure.

When we already talking about the scuplt tool, a feature that I'm missing is a feature to prevent the sculpt tool to affect hole in the mesh (preserve the hole's shape) ex. very useful when sculpting a symmetrical object that uses a mirror modifier.

Jeremy Ray

Post by Jeremy Ray »

I think you mean normal maps, not displacement maps.

Blender does need micropoly displacement. I would much rather see micropoly displacement than any more work on sculpt mode.

You can do WYSIWYG editting of displacement maps in Blender. Here's a tutorial

Gustav Göransson

I think you mean normal maps, not displacement maps.
No I mean displacement maps (micropoly of course), well normal maps are good too but if you want extreme details they have their limitations...

Here's what I talking about (a pipeline guide for zbrush to 3ds max):
http://www.zbrush.info/site/index.php/ZBrush_to_3ds_Max

Blender does need micropoly displacement. I would much rather see micropoly displacement than any more work on sculpt mode.
I agree! The problem with MD is that it have to be supported in the renderer (I'm I right?), so if MD is added to blender's internal renderer, it won't work in yafray etc. But it's definitely something I want to see in blender in the future (along with N-gons and 64-bit =)

You can do WYSIWYG editting of displacement maps in Blender. Here's a tutorial
Nice tutorial, but you still have to switch back and forth between edit an texture paint mode =S but that can't be hard to fix for the developers? however, sculpting and then generating a displacement map or painting a displacement map and see the result i real time are almost the same thing =) still prefer scuplting, where you have the smooth grab and pinch tools etc.

Jeremy Ray

Post by Jeremy Ray »

Using sculpt mode to create a displacement map is a new one for me. I'm not aware that Blender can do it though. It's basically pointless until Blender gets micropoly displacement, isn't it? Without micropoly you'd have to set subD to render with as many faces as in the original sculpt.

So we're back to needing micropoly.

I'm not a programmer but I would assume Blender would create the displaced mesh and pass the model to either renderer. I don't know why the renderer would have to know how the poly's it gets are created. Whatever the situation is, we can't go without micropoly displacement forever.

What kind of machine are you on? Windows or Linux?

Gustav Göransson

Yeah we need micropoly to be able to do this. I think you should be able to achieve this if you use mental ray along with the blender metal ray plugin. But mental ray isn't directly free...

Maybe you're right I'm no programmer either. I know that in 3ds max, the micro displacement are done by the renderer (mental ray or plug in renderer, the default scanline renderer doesn't support MD). But if it's possible to do the micro displacement in blender so you become "renderer independent" that would be great!

my machine? I'm currently using a Intel core duo E6400 with 2gb ram, running dual boot, but not using linux very often , just for fun/testing (I'm a real linux newbie =).

Azrael

Post by Azrael »

It would be nice if you could enter decimal values in the strength values and make 100 much "stronger" than it is now. Because I find I have to go over an area over and over again to get the volumes I want.

teppic

Post by teppic »

Jeremy Ray wrote:Using sculpt mode to create a displacement map is a new one for me. I'm not aware that Blender can do it though. It's basically pointless until Blender gets micropoly displacement, isn't it? Without micropoly you'd have to set subD to render with as many faces as in the original sculpt.
You can always use a normal map for the finer details, so I don't see why it would be pointless.

matt_e

Re: Sculpt mode - suggestion

Post by matt_e »

CG_Tiger wrote: example of use-
So, the user will enable the tile mode, and hit hotkey to show tile.
Size the tile, with preview this operation is easier, rather than the hit and miss in 2.43.
Press the hotkey to hide tile, then sculpt the area of interest.
There are the F, Shift F and Alt F hotkeys (I think those are right, could be wrong) to interactively change size, strength and angle, with a preview). They weren't in the menus at release time, and unfortunately not many people know about them.