Blender interface change

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ronbravo

Post by ronbravo » Sun May 20, 2007 7:15 pm

This has been an interesting topic.

I must say there seems to people who are unopen to change on both sides.

Some of the people who have gotten used to blender are like "Blender is fine why change it". Blender in my opinion is very good but there is always room for improvement. And some of the sound arguments for improving the interface seem to be met unwaivering replys that aren't open to change. Like the whole icon screens that were shown. Yeah maybe they would clutter up the interface but instead of being like "Nope they clutter up the interface so it can't be added at all". For those opposed to the idea, maybe propose something that meets your ideas and the ideas of that person. Compromise.

Personally, I took the time to learn Blender and I love. It took me about 3 weeks to learn but I eventually did it. Unfortunatly not everyone has the time to do that so I don't blame them for wanting the application to resemble something they are used to already doing. And saying things like "You don't like Blender then just open up the source code and change it" don't help because if I'm an artist with no programming experiance this probably isn't going to happen. And even if I did have programming experiance but no Python experiance I now have to learn Python.

Then there are the people who are like "Blender's interface is too different it should be more like app xyz". There are benefits to sitting down and just forcing your mind to learn Blender. Once you get used to it you find that it is very fast. Remember this is Blender. It's going to behave like Blender. I wouldn't expect 3DS Max or Maya to behave like Blender so I accept that fact and try to learn the application. Learning new things takes time. And like many people have said if you would like an interface change propose a good argument( like the screenshots that were posted ) as to why this xyz feature/change would be a benefit to Blender.

And last but not least some of the post where it's like "I'm sorry if I sound rude but so what" Funny some people don't take the time to consider how they are coming off when posting but then are suprised when someone gets upset to their responses. I personally don't like my ideas being dumb or unreasonable and I'm pretty sure others don't either. If you don't agree with someone you can easily tell them with out coming off sounding rude. I mean if you have to post "I'm sorry if I sound rude but..." that already tells me you know there's a problem with what you are going to say. I only say this because this is usaually how intellegent and good topics like this one start turning into insults back and forth. Golden rule and all that.

That said, there is work planned to allow custom mouse, menu, panel, and keybindings that could go a significant way towards reducing the difficulty in migrating to Blender from other 3D packages.

Also after customization becomes much easier - I hope to have a look at doing single purpose simplified interfaces.

- LetterRip
This is the greatest thing said in this topic that I think solves both sides of the issue. And this is why I love Blender. Some of the features people ask to get can sometimes take a little time to get there but it seems like the devs do listen. And this seems like a very excellent soulution. A Blender interface that can be customized to work like Blender, Max, Maya, XSI, or whatever. If that happens everybody wins.

I LOVE BLENDER.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon May 28, 2007 5:18 am

"This is the greatest thing said in this topic that I think solves both sides of the issue. And this is why I love Blender. Some of the features people ask to get can sometimes take a little time to get there but it seems like the devs do listen. And this seems like a very excellent soulution. A Blender interface that can be customized to work like Blender, Max, Maya, XSI, or whatever. If that happens everybody wins."

Let's say you extend the buttons panel to include a tool button panel that you can drag and drop into it with large high color icons. This tool button panel can be configured to be text only or icons that scale. It could be placed horizontally or vertically.

If you had an "Objects" window with all the options, you could simply drag and drop them onto the screen and "build" a custom interface.

Azrael

update

Post by Azrael » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:14 pm

Dani

Post by Dani » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:31 pm

Hi!
Blender needs are in that case very specific (all is done in OpenGL) and changing that is not really an option.

Even if the low-level backend can be C++ (GHOST is) we need a C interface for the main stuff.
Hum, I'm not quite sure I understand this well. wxWidgets gives you hands on a wxGLContext and a wxGLCanvas object. The event handling seems to work pretty much like Swing's listeners. And I guess there is no problem calling C functions from wx' event handlers. (says the guy who's been doing C/C++ for 3 months ;) )

Anyway, for my internship I'm exploring the wxWidgets library and I will need OpenGL in it, so I hope at the end of it I'll have some more insight into how OpenGL works within wxWidgets.

However I do understand that the whole Blender UI is OGL and it's this way for speed reasons (I've just read a page on the wiki about this). I'll just be exploring the wx way for the pleasure ;) (and eventually give feedback if it is desired)

Sincerely,
Dani

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:23 pm

Here's another idea of how to do the user prefs menu aswell as a new color picker.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:02 am

Gustav Göransson

Post by Gustav Göransson » Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:01 pm

Or like this

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:12 pm

Gustav Göransson wrote:Or like this
Sure, what ever it takes to have the interface do what anyone wants. :-D

Azrael

Shortcut menu

Post by Azrael » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:53 pm

Azrael

Toolbar

Post by Azrael » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:56 am

Here is a toolbar,

Here is a little bit of cleanup on the user prefs menu.

alarionfirn

Post by alarionfirn » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:50 pm

I love your ideas a lot so far Azrael. Especially the toolbar seems useful to me. Keep the ideas coming! :)

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:47 pm

alarionfirn wrote:I love your ideas a lot so far Azrael. Especially the toolbar seems useful to me. Keep the ideas coming! :)
Thank you, I will!

GDP_Sabrina

please keep with these ideas !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by GDP_Sabrina » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Hello folks,

the dude, who created that visual is a god !!

Please keep up with this concept. I really really loive blender, but I can't understand and learn all these key strokes. I really need a visual click-click interface, where I can select from a palette and not knowing every shortcut.

Please stay with these fantastic ideas !!!!!!!!

Sabrina

GDP_Sabrina

Post by GDP_Sabrina » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:22 pm

To compare blender with other interfaces, here are two examples:

Carrara

Cinema 4D

Regards
Sabrina

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:48 am

GDP_Sabrina wrote:the dude, who created that visual is a god !!
thank you. I really appreciate your feedback, I will post some more things. Right now I am thinking about the material editor.