Interface Questions

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

masser

Interface Questions

Post by masser »

Before asking my questions, I would just like to say that Blender is an awesome piece of software, at any price, and the fact that it's free has motivated me to dive in after years of devotion to other packages and truly learn what it's all about. Keep in mind, although I have been a user of 3D Studio MAX for some 10 years and TruSpace for maybe 6 or 7, I have only been using Blender seriously for a few weeks. I'd played with it months ago (and walked away due to initial frustration with usability), but this time I dove in with the intent to use it as it is (reading the docs and tutorial after tutorial) and see what wisdom came through on the other side. I have to admit, there are many things that it just does BETTER! My sincere compliments to the development team -- I truly hope this project stays on task (serving usability first) and doesn't go the way of so many open source projects before it (feature lust at the cost of quality).

That said, I have been pretty successful in getting up to speed and doing some serious modelling (my focus is on low poly game models and UV mapping) and I have a few questions I just could not figure out on my own:

1) UI Profiles - Is there some concept of UI profiles -- the ability to configure a screen layout (maybe a 4 viewport) and use it when creating a new scene? I cheated and created a .blend that I just open and re-save when I begin but if there's a better way can you please point me?

2) Keyboard Configuration - Where do I configure hotkeys for various tasks? I have really tried to use it as-is, but when push comes to shove, I may choose to move a few items (for instance left mouse selecting is just a hard habit to break). I will however, continue to learn as it is but this would be nice to know.

3) Edit Mode Hotkeys - If I am in Edit Mode and want to toggle between vertex, edge and face modes, it MUST happen by hotkeys because I move very fast when poly modelling -- a menu is just too cumbersome. I've read about using CTRL+TAB+1, 2 or 3 but this will not satisfy my needs (and I would warn against using TAB in any hotkeys, as it can inadvertently switch modes). If they exist, what is the hotkey for each action of vertex mode, edge mode and face mode?

I have read a number of posts where people are providing "advise" on the Blender interface and this is not my intent. The issues I've discovered (many of which seem to go away with time) are far outweighed by the good things I've found and I hope it all contiinues. Once I get to a comfortable point, I really look forward to contributing some tutorials to help others dive in as I have.

Thanks.
Masser

kaeru

Post by kaeru »

1) you can save the UI profile with ctrl+u , which will update the B.blend in the blender directory to your setting ( erase it to go back to default ((load factory setting in the "file menu" since the new 2.44))

2)nope , you can't actually , but will certainly be there for the 2.50 release

3)ctrl + tab , yes , you don't have to push 1 , 2 or 3 , you can select the mode you want by clicking with the mouse ...

Peace :) .

masser

Post by masser »

Thank you, Kaeru, that profile tip was just what I was looking for.

I hear what you're saying about the CTRL-TAB thing (that I can just pull up the menu and choose with the mouse) but that is the root of my point. Pulling up a menu and choosing an item is too cumbersome for something as crucial as mode changes in the midst of a model edit. My routine when I'm poly modelling has my mouse at full utilization in 3DS MAX -- the mouse selects, drags and performs operations (like modifier changes) all the while as I select a vertex, drag, select an edge, extrude, select a face, move, etc... It's a fluid, fast process that makes me very efficient. The menu takes me out of my groove (as it deselects what I was working on). In 3DS MAX, the mode hotkeys are number keys, all side by side -- very easy to navigate.

I guess I'll keep my mind open and continue to try to learn the "Blender-style" of doing things. In the end, I'm just doing mock projects, full-bore, to see how it all performs. I also look forward to the next version if it will bring keywboard configuration, in case it doesn't work out.

Take care.
Masser