Switchable lights and master ambient lights

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

N86

Switchable lights and master ambient lights

Post by N86 »

In Project Messiah it has something known as master lights. These master lights actually act as a local ambient light. Pretty powerful concept and allows a great deal of control. Individual lights are created under master lights allowing global control (either full control, or additive, subtractive, etc.) of each light's settings via the master light.

Another useful feature is that each light type can be changed within the light's settings to a different light type. (ie. select a spot light, and then decide to change that spotlight to a area light via a simple drop down menu in a panel.)

Ideally, I think that the lights should still be able to be created individually, but perhaps parenting or creating a group would give the option to create a master light.

jesterKing
Site Admin

Re: Switchable lights and master ambient lights

Post by jesterKing »

N86 wrote:Another useful feature is that each light type can be changed within the light's settings to a different light type. (ie. select a spot light, and then decide to change that spotlight to a area light via a simple drop down menu in a panel.)
Even better, no need to open up a dropdown menu, but just change from the lamp preview panel (material buttons > lamp).

Do read http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/ in particular http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Lighting .

/Nathan

N86

Post by N86 »

Ahh. For some reason I've always missed that, I assumed it was just a preview change, similar to the options within a shader. Always just added a new lamp at the same location as the previous light via the 3d cursor. It does seem that takes up a lot of unnessary space and isn't consistent with the rest of Blender. I think lamp color and RGB would be a bit better there. Plus, placing a small little drop down directly below the lamps name would make more sense. This does remind me of another change I wish for Blender. When going into edit mode why can't it switch to mesh tools. Or if its a light, allow edit mode and have its edit mode access the light panels. Again thanks for the fyi on the lamp type.