Ok this is gonna sound REALLY weird but...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

LazyCoder

Ok this is gonna sound REALLY weird but...

Post by LazyCoder » Thu May 24, 2007 1:35 am

Whenever I have 10000 static particles, my computer makes a strange noise every time blender redraws the view. Like I'll rotate the camera and I'll keep hearing this beeping noise coming from inside my computer, not from the speakers.

When I turn off static, or lower the amount below 2000 I can't hear the noise. Above 2000, the more particles I have, the louder the noise.

My specs:
- 2.33 GHz dual core intel
- 2048 MB memory
- 256 MB ATI radeon mobility X1800

So freakin annoying.

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu May 24, 2007 8:43 am

What kind of noise? Is it the gfx-card fan speeding up but grinding because it's a bit old or dirty?

BeBraw

Post by BeBraw » Thu May 24, 2007 10:34 am

That sounds like swap memory (hard disk) in use for me. Though with those specs it seems a bit strange but it may be a reason. You did not mention which operating system you are using. This information might enlighten the situation a bit. Other systems than Windows generally can access more memory (>1 GB iirc) in case of Blender. There's an experimental patch at the tracker to remedy this limitation though.

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey » Thu May 24, 2007 10:37 am

LazyCoder - don't worry, you're not entirely alone in peculiar noises happening! When I drag nodes around, I get a hissing noise coming through the speakers... I think computers just like to keep you amused really!

Koba

Post by Koba » Thu May 24, 2007 1:36 pm

Same thing here!

It is a wierd crackle as I rotate round the 3D view at times. Stop moving and it stops crackling. That said, I've noticed the same thing with some command line programs too - is the command line/console is generating loads of output I can hear it with my speakers turned off!

No it isn't the disk swapping cause I know that sound!

Koba

LazyCoder

Post by LazyCoder » Thu May 24, 2007 11:30 pm

... and if you get enough of them it almost sounds like crickets? lol

I'm on Windows XP, and I assume it's sp2 because I got the computer after sp2 was released.

So there's nothing really wrong with my computer? It's just kind of annoying that's all.

Dani

Post by Dani » Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm

This happens to me on my ATI notebook. It has always done this whenever the gfx chip has a lot to handle. it goes like "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz". Hey that's a good imitation!

Dani