feature req: edgeloop selection mode, preselect highlighting

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

martinlo

feature req: edgeloop selection mode, preselect highlighting

Post by martinlo »

EDGE-LOOP SELECTION MODE:

A nice feature that I think could make modelling much faster would be a "mode" in which when you move the mouse over an edge loop it becomes highlighted, and you can select it using left click once it is highlighted.

without this "mode" the steps would be:
1- Change to edge selection
2- Select one edge.
3- Press CTRL-E.
4- Choose option: Select edgeloop.
5- The action you want: i.e scaling or sliding the loop.

with this mode:
1- the first four steps are replaced by one "left click"
2- the action

Imagine how useful this mode can be if you have to modify something tubular and organic like many parts of cloth are (sleves, trunk, skirt) and you had 20 or 30 edgeloops on each one.

In many case you dont modify all the edgeloops at once, it's something organic with pleats, and you need to go from one edge loop to another and adjust each one a just a bit every time you select.

Would be a great tool for organic modelling.

PRESELECTION HIGHLIGHTING:

The preselection highlighting mentioned for edgeloops could be used for normal selection too (like wings3D) for vertex, edges and faces. This way you know exactly what is going to be selected and there is no risk to select a vertex from behind when is not your intention, or in case there are some vertices very close to each other or faces almost overlapping, you don't avoid the frustration of selecting several times the wrong one until you find the right one's exact point.

FreakyDude

Post by FreakyDude »

or you could use alt rmb for loop, ctrl rmb for ring, and shift to add/remove from selection. So you wouldn't have to activate a new mode for it, since it's allready there in the current one.

martinlo

Post by martinlo »

Thank you, I did not know about that combination of keys for loops and rings.

Then only the "preselection highlighting" would be the feature I think it would be nice to be added.

paleajed

Post by paleajed »

Preselection highlighting addon : http://www.ewocprojects.be/presel.html