Feature Request: World that responds to camera loc

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

modron

Feature Request: World that responds to camera loc

Post by modron » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:10 am

Currently, as far as I know, the real setting in the world buttons only responds to camera rotation, not the cameras orientation in 3D space. I think it would be helpful to have a sort of virtual sky dome setting, where you could enter the size of the dome, and perhaps even stack textures, at varying depths. Kind of like having multiple sky domes, of different sizes, with alpha channels. It would give the illusion of being volumetric.
But, of course, the really important part, is that as the camera moves, the world does not follow it around, but remains fixed, making possible shots where the camera is travelling sideways, or at an angle through space, with the sky panning by as it goes. Thenks for considering my request.

teppic

Post by teppic » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:07 pm

Why couldn't you do this with regular textured spheres? Am I missing something?

modron

Post by modron » Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:30 am

because an actual sphere will interfere with the AO, and it makes sense to have the 'real' setting be fully functional, rather than half functional.

teppic

Post by teppic » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:51 am

Not if you put them in a different scene and composite them together.

Anyway, this feature would require a lot of settings, like positions, sizes and so on, which would be a lot more easier to configure with objects in the 3d-view. In fact, this is exactly what the 3d view is for. If they should behave like real objects, why not just use real objects?

It also wouldn't be very hard to write a python script that automates this setup, if that would be preferred.