Draw guidelines?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

reed

Draw guidelines?

Post by reed » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:31 pm

Is there a way in Blender to draw guidelines in the 3D views, that are only to help align or sketch out where to place geometry, but aren't real geometry themselves. E.g. similar to guidelines you might pull down in Photoshop, but in 3D space. (They should be in the same space as the geometry, so you can move the camera and still see the lines. They could be planes I guess instead of lines). I'm looking for a way to sketch or draw out the general size and shape of a scene or object, then use that to help fill in the details-- like putting a sketch in the background of a 3D view, but integrated into the scene and the Blender UI.

Thanks

Reed

NielsBlender

Re: Draw guidelines?

Post by NielsBlender » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:52 pm

reed wrote:Is there a way in Blender to draw guidelines in the 3D views, that are only to help align or sketch out where to place geometry, but aren't real geometry themselves.
Other than the View Properties(->GridSettings) there aren't... however, working with primitive geometry objects can help to represent the final form of a scene when you want to do this 'sketch' in 3D.

Hope this helps,
Niels

reed

Re: Draw guidelines?

Post by reed » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:28 pm

Thanks. I guess one way would be to dedicate one layer to such geometry. The main downside is that if you want such "guide" geometry to have a certain appearence, you need to assign it manually each time (though you could save the materials in your default .blend file...)