Black/Blank Blender window?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Eyeless0

Black/Blank Blender window?

Post by Eyeless0 »

Hello!
Been spending like 2 hours now on google searching the net for answers to my problem, but can't find any. So I hope any of you here might know anything.

I just installed Blender and when I try to load it I get the cmd window and a black/blank Blender window. There is nothing in the blender window, its just all black. The cmd window says:

"Compiled with Python version 2.5.
Checking for installed Python... got it!"

I got a ATI Radeon 9800 card. I noticed there seem to be problems with ATI cards and blender, but at least I could be able to start blender right?

I suspect this is some kind of problem with my graphic driver, as I can't render the blender interface. I also can't see video in Windows Media Player or the Image viewer that comes with Windows. But I can get a preview of the movie or picture in Windows Explorer. I can see video in MMPlayer and use the Nero Image Viewer for pictures now. I run Windows Vista Ultimate.

I'm totally stuck with this now, as I have reinstalled and updated almost anything I can think of.

Any suggestion is welcome!
Thanks!

alarionfirn

Post by alarionfirn »

I have an ati radeon 9600 card and I experienced the same problem with any drivers above the catalyst 7.4 or omega drivers 3.8.360. The strange thing for me is that I only get a black screen on my primary monitor, but on my secondary one everything runs just fine.

Eyeless0

Post by Eyeless0 »

alarionfirn wrote:I have an ati radeon 9600 card and I experienced the same problem with any drivers above the catalyst 7.4 or omega drivers 3.8.360. The strange thing for me is that I only get a black screen on my primary monitor, but on my secondary one everything runs just fine.
so using old version vista drivers before 7.4 would solve this problem?
thanks for your reply! :D

Eyeless0

Post by Eyeless0 »

Eyeless0 wrote:
alarionfirn wrote:I have an ati radeon 9600 card and I experienced the same problem with any drivers above the catalyst 7.4 or omega drivers 3.8.360. The strange thing for me is that I only get a black screen on my primary monitor, but on my secondary one everything runs just fine.
so using old version vista drivers before 7.4 would solve this problem?
thanks for your reply! :D
Well I just tried uninstalling and installing both 7.3 and 7.2, it made no difference. The problem is still there and the same. Blender window is all black.

stiv

Post by stiv »

If you are using Windows Aero, don't! Another trick that has worked is turning down hardware acceleration.

This is a problem with your graphics card/driver/window manager.

Eyeless0

Post by Eyeless0 »

stiv wrote:If you are using Windows Aero, don't! Another trick that has worked is turning down hardware acceleration.

This is a problem with your graphics card/driver/window manager.
Well im having a problem turning down Hardware Acceleration. I cant access the menu to do that, disabled by drivers.

Spent more reading yesterday and finally got the black to disappear. All I needed was a fake atioglxx.dll file in the folder. To activate software graphics and not opengl. I copy and renamed SDL.dll in the blender folder and I was all good :D

So at least I can use it now, but the menu's in blender were very slow when closing, like the graphics is lagging with repainting them. Anybody got any hint how to get it faster?