Difficulties with surface texture and camera - need changes

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

aquarien

Difficulties with surface texture and camera - need changes

Post by aquarien » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:31 pm

I'm having a frustrating time trying to do simple things with surface texture and the camera. I've read a number of the texture tutorials, and as much of the manual as I could get while the server seemed to be down, but they are a bit too light on detail and examples. I'm trying to paste an orthogonal cubic grid on the surface of water flowing through a dam breach (in Fluid Sim). It would make the curves in the surface show up better. That part I got.

But the previews are often wildly different in color, contrast, brightness and reflections for most, if not all, of the solid, textured, or rendered objects/views in the 3D View window. So I've been going back and forth ad infinitum trying to change the surface texture, color and highlights to get what I want. And then there is some kind of extra grey pseudo-reflection that seems to have no correspondence to any button or light source. It would be really nice and more productive if the previews were accurate.

At one time, I had figured out the keystrokes and setup to move the camera in and out, around, and pointing in different directions to get the view I wanted. But I seem to have forgotten it. As photographer, I find it completely unnatural to have to shift constantly between views inside and outside the camera to move the camera view around. It would be a lot more productive if the outside rectangular solid frame in camera view had movement control handles attached directly to it. Then it would be more like looking through a real viewfinder and pointing and moving without taking one's eye away from it - just like we do in real life. We almost never try to point a real camera by looking at it from the outside, instead of through the viewfinder. Because it doesn't work that well.

I would really appreciate it if the developers would consider making those changes. They address some basic functionality that I think many others would also find useful. :)
Regards, aquarien
www.aquarien.com

stiv

Post by stiv » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:30 pm

From your post it is not clear whether you understand you can move the camera in the camera view or whether you have simply forgotten how to do it.

Hint: the camera is simply another object and responds to the usual grab and rotate commands. MMB is your friend.

aquarien

Post by aquarien » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:08 pm

The best I could find before posting was the "Blender HotKeys In-depth Reference" list for 2.36, with all the keys listed somewhat randomly. The camera controls don't just leap out at me from that one. Did you perhaps mean to refer me to http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Camera_View? I see that the Manual is now back up, apparently with a new page design. I'd still like to be able to download the whole thing as a PDF file.
Regards, aquarien
www.aquarien.com

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:44 am

hi,

to move the camera it is best not to be in camera view (imo).

Split up your screen 3d windows so you have a front/side/top view and a perspective/camera view.

create an empty and call it target or something
first select the camera, then the empty and cntrl-t. choose track to constraint. now if you move the empty, the camera will follow it. if you move the camera, it will always look at the empty

you can now place the empty at the point of intrest and in de front/side/top view move the camera. in the other window your camera view will reflect what the camera sees when moving it in the other viewport

greets

pin