Edit mode disabled?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

anaglyph

Edit mode disabled?

Post by anaglyph »

I'm fairly new to blender on mac and love it!

I have been running into the same problem through each tutorial. I create a model moving back and forth from object to edit mode.

Then when I go to create my next model in my scene, or start working on a new layer, the previous models and layers are stuck in object mode and I can no longer modify them. I see the edit mode as an option, and I have my model selected, but when I click on edit mode, it remains in object mode. Tab no longer works either. Also, after I add a lamp, object mode is the only option I see.

If this has already been answered, I do apologize. I tried to get to the "features request area", but I get an error. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

SaltyOREO

Re: Edit mode disabled?

Post by SaltyOREO »

anaglyph wrote:I'm fairly new to blender on mac and love it!
Nuff said :lol: :lol:

But seriously, i would really recommend just re installing it. If you have done that already, try making alot of seperate objects and see if maybe you are creating new ones while still in edit mode. If you add more objects to an object already in edit mode, those new objects will share all of the same properties of the original mesh. Try adding new objects in OBJECT MODE. Just a suggestion if you arent doing that.

Hope i helped,
Brandon Engle

stiv

Post by stiv »

Also, after I add a lamp, object mode is the only option I see.
Certain object types such as Lamps and Empties do not have an Edit mode.

For more assistance with user questions:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11012

SaltyOREO

Post by SaltyOREO »

stiv wrote:
Certain object types such as Lamps and Empties do not have an Edit mode.
Whoopsie, didnt see that thing about the lamps. yea there is no edit mode for lams, empties, or cameras. I was jsut suggesting to try it :wink:

Gustav Göransson

Post by Gustav Göransson »

anaglyph wrote:Then when I go to create my next model in my scene, or start working on a new layer, the previous models and layers are stuck in object mode and I can no longer modify them. I see the edit mode as an option, and I have my model selected, but when I click on edit mode, it remains in object mode. Tab no longer works either.
I have experinced this problem once, but I was unable to reproduce it. If you can reproduce it, then write step by step how you did it, and let us try and see if it really is a bug.

anaglyph

Post by anaglyph »

I think you might be on to something with the reinstall. When I did a search to delete the old version, I saw that the first one had crashed a few months back. I delete everything that says blender, then reinstall blender... but my old prefs are still reading somehow. I insert a mesh, switch layers, insert another mesh, then on a third layer insert a third mesh. The only mesh I can select in edit mode is the last mesh I selected. Do you know of how I can permanently trash my old prefs? A simple return to factory settings isn't making the difference.

PS- Thanks for the help.

FuzzCube

Post by FuzzCube »

a few years ago i had issues with blender doing wierd things like this mine was caused by a virus... so I suggest to try a scan if you do not do so regularly and

if you hit the "/" on the number pad it will change to local view (which focuses only on the selected object(s) when local view was selected)

In the 3d view panel select view menu and look for local view, and global view and see which one is selected, this sounds what it may be to me

anyway good luck :)

anaglyph

Post by anaglyph »

I just installed Blender on another mac (G5) and I am running into the same problem. Both computers are running system 10.4.11. The only way I can select a previous mesh is in object mode. If my most recent mesh is on a new layer, the previous layer shows me the option of edit mode, but when I click on it, it stays in object mode. Tab only works on the most recent mesh. This happens regardless if I am in local or global view.

UPDATE: I have now run McAfee Virus Scan for Mac on my entire drive (scan and clean). Then I reinstalled Blender and I am getting the same problem. Could this be a problem with the compatibility of system 10.4.11? There is one other thing that is strange. A while back, I made my default settings without the initial plane in view. When I delete the Blender folder and reinstall, it remembers those settings. I can set it to factory settings and the plane appears but it seems to have kept old preferences. I don't know if this makes a difference.

FuzzCube

Post by FuzzCube »

ok... it sounds like a bug. not really sure about your particular situation as you are on a mac and I am on Windurs, but with that fact aside if you are using the latest version, even try the most up to date beta to see if it still does it (if you aren't already) then go to the bug tracker and search for your problem. if you don't find a topic already started then go ahead and start one but be sure to include your system type and stats (processor os version graphics card ect.) also you will want to describe as best as you can what steps were taken to CAUSE the problem (this will help get it resolved faster if the coders can find out how to replicate it than they can track down the defunct code and fix it)

Once again Good Luck :D

anaglyph

Post by anaglyph »

I have been looking for the Beta version for mac and can't find it. Does anyone know where I can get it?

SaltyOREO

Post by SaltyOREO »

this is almost certainly a bug. I would report it and the experts may or may not confirm it.

Give it a shot :wink:

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

stiv

Post by stiv »

this is almost certainly a bug
More likely some strange user error. Best to put up a .blend somewhere so someone can look at it.

anaglyph

Post by anaglyph »

stiv wrote:
this is almost certainly a bug
More likely some strange user error. Best to put up a .blend somewhere so someone can look at it.
I have tried the beta download mentioned on http://download.blender.org/release/Blender2.46rc/ and I am getting the same response.

I have also tried downloading a blend image from the tutorial on page http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/ ... t_painting
entitled
BSoD-ItCA-upper_body_weight_paint.blend

The first thing the tutorial asks is to put the armature into edit mode. I can select the armature in layer 3 in object mode, but not put it into edit mode. The eyes in layer 2 are not able to go into edit mode either. Only the body in layer one can go into edit mode whether I use the tab key, or try to manually select edit mode.

If I have all the layers visible I can select edit mode but not select the eyes or the armature whether I use the A button or try to manually select using the B button.

I could download a few meshes I have created but I have a feeling it will be workable on other peoples machines and not mine... Like the blender tutorial image.

Update... I don't know what the problem is but it has gotten worse in the last week or 2. As of March 23 when I first downloaded the model from the tutorial, I could edit the armature and the body, but not the eyes. At that point I had to stop because Weight Painting Mode was disabled. Now, after deleting the blender folder and re-downloading the program a few more times, when I open the file from the tutorial only the body is editable. I ran McAfee Virus scan again as well as ClamXav and no infected files were found on my drive. I still see the default settings I saved months ago so not everything is getting deleted when I re-install. I am about ready to give up hope.

anaglyph

Post by anaglyph »

I may have solved this. I noticed a crash report on my hard drive for Blender. It said that Python 2.3 wasn't loading. I downloaded the new Python 2.5.2 and so far... smooth sailing. Thank you everyone for your help and support.