mirroring in object mode+rotation issues

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FuzzCube

mirroring in object mode+rotation issues

Post by FuzzCube »

I have a .blend file with the results of my tests... if anyone wants to review...

here is the basic problem...

what works....

when an object is mirrored with no rotation or rotation with 90degree increments it works as would be expected also with local

what doesn't work quite right...

however if the object is say rotated say 31degrees on z axis and mirrored on x axis using the 3d cursor as center the object is mirrored seemingly twice? with wierd results which end in the mirrored result being way offset from the position it should it should be and the mirrored object is also facing the wrong way

it could be better explained via picture which i also have a screenshot but i cannot figure how to upload it, If someone could tell me how I will place it here

this issue has been in 2.45 and is also in 2.46rc1

scrag_10

Post by scrag_10 »

upload it to a site like photobucket or imageshack then it will give you a url and you can use image tags or just a regular link.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

If they seem likely to be bugs, put them in the bug tracker,

LetterRip

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender »

FuzzCube,

If you apply the rotation you refer to [CTRL+A], you still get weird results?

FuzzCube

Post by FuzzCube »

NielsBlender wrote:FuzzCube,

If you apply the rotation you refer to [CTRL+A], you still get weird results?
:oops:

I guess I learned something new! :D
Thats why I don't post bug reports until I know that they are actually bugs...

Anyway thanks...NielsBlender :D

And since this is a feature request forum, to continue I have simple little idea to improve some annoyances with the mirror modifier....as follows....

instead of using the object

data as center and having to configure it with the cursor why not just add 3 extra buttons which would be 0x 0y 0z or even use the others as dual position switches... how this would work... basically if you would press the 0x button it would use center 0 on x axis and would mirror properly unlike if for some reason your object data was not in optimal position for mirroring (which is the whole reason for this,such as if you are mirroring non center connected meshes like eyes) or even there could be a custom entry for mirror centers....

also what about a (i think it is called radial symmetry) mirroring modifier so if you would have to make a complex object that has repeating patterns like for example a rim for a car and would like to see what it looks like without actually having keep duplicating and rotating. it would have 2 set bounds per axis which would act like the "do clipping" except would clip toward the outside if turned on (think of making a whole 3D apple pie by only designing one piece)

anyway thank you for your time, and sorry I was late for follow up post (issues with my internet connection) and thank you again especially to NielsBlender for the solution to the earlier problem. :D

(and as always feedback is very much appreciated!!!!!!)

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender »

FuzzCube wrote:instead of using the objectdata as center and having to configure it with the cursor why not just add 3 extra buttons which would be 0x 0y 0z
In 3Dwindow-bar click on View->View Properties, the 3D-cursor does have '3 little boxes'... ;)
For the record: You are aware that one can choose which center the mirror-tool should use, for example objectbounds-center or 3D-cursor-center. -> which are hotkeys [,] and [.]

When I mirror eyes, I select the eye, press [SHIFT+C] -> [.] -> [CTRL+M] -> [X] -> [ENTER]
FuzzCube wrote:also what about a (i think it is called radial symmetry) mirroring modifier so if you would have to make a complex object that has repeating patterns like for example a rim for a car and would like to see what it looks like without actually having keep duplicating and rotating. it would have 2 set bounds per axis which would act like the "do clipping" except would clip toward the outside if turned on (think of making a whole 3D apple pie by only designing one piece)
There's multiple ways to duplicate objects, the array-modifier(stairs/brickish), dupliverts(animated, non-animated, along curve, along verts of other object, etc, etc, the application is very versatile...), spin(vase/carwheelish)

Niels

FuzzCube

Post by FuzzCube »

I do know about all of those :D , but what I was suggesting was a method alternative to spin in which one could see the results of the whole entire object as it being designed, by designing only one section and seeing all other sections being drawn at the same time like with the standard mirror modifier.

In other words when you draw one vert with say 5sides or whatever selected it would draw 4 additional verts respectively, that way one could see if the object being desinged looks right as a whole as opposed to desigining one section and using spin to test to see if results look right....

and for the idea about the 3 boxes is just a way of "taking out the middleman" if you will... it is so one would just click one box (for center 0) to set center as opposed taking 2 or three other steps.... and what if you didn't want to move your cursor, but still needed to center mirror 0?

and speaking of cursors why not a lock or unlock cursor? or is this already integrated?

:D

NielsBlender

Post by NielsBlender »

FuzzCube wrote:I do know about all of those :D
Than you must have passed the [ALT+D]... ;)

Niels

ps.
If you feel troubled rotating manually, a python-dup-spin is not too hard to write.

ps2.
...Of the people I do know in relation to 3D, use an Empty to 'lock position(s)'