CAD

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth » Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:17 pm

Khiraly wrote:When I select the 4 vertices, I call the Extend/Trimm function, the mouse-pointer switch to the CLOCK(in linux).
So I thought, that It calcules something!
Something I overlooked. Fixing right now.
Khiraly wrote:Other problem:
When the two edges are paralell It make long to infinity!
So it would be fine, when blender drop a window, that the two line are parallel!
Actually, when the two edges are perfectly parallel, it pops up an error message. You probably had some edges that were really close to being parallel but not really.

Khiraly wrote:Here is an another feature request:
It would be cool, when we are capable to subdivide just one edge, and not all the faces connecting.

Here is a picture:

I hope you understand ...
I understand, but this creates two edges unconnected to any faces, so it's a no no.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

leon

Post by leon » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:58 am

hi khiraly,

just in case you're not aware of it, Blender is limited to faces with 3 or 4 edges only - the example you gave would have 5 unfortunately.

cheers

leon

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:22 pm

theeth wrote: I understand, but this creates two edges unconnected to any faces, so it's a no no.
i refined my idea a little. For be more clear I have made some images:
So Im modalise a car(fiat500):
I start to modelise the fender:

I add some detail:

Where is not obligatory to have ton of the edge ...
So I use the automatice option for cleaning the surfaces(Shift-J)

The result:

Isnt what Im expected ...:-(

So I make it manually:

So it would be make it automatically with the function Subdivide Edges ....
For making it manually, I must made 46 right mouse click, and calling 8 times the delete menu(button X), and the for the surface(F) too.
So its _REALLY_ slow.

How you find my idea?

Here is the prople tutorial, where Im looked for this technic:
http://www.3dtotal.com/team/Tutorials/f ... 00_m03.asp

------
Or what about to implement mouving to radius?
This would be exactly the same, what is now the scaling function when the 3D viewpoints is active. The difference, thet it only move at the radius, and not scale(what the scale function do ...)

Khiraly

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Fri Jan 16, 2004 12:27 am

For cases like this, you're better off using Knife Subdivide, or Face Loop Subdivide.

bleber

Post by bleber » Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:42 pm

HI!!
there are a idea dor the snap tool

it explais itself I hope :? :?

knoxer

Post by knoxer » Fri Jan 16, 2004 11:39 pm

I would like snaps to work more automatically, like in AutoCAD.

There would just be a single toggle for "object snap" on/off... then whenever you get close to an end point it highlights to show that it's recognizing the endpoint as a snap point, and if you click it's done. It works the same for centers, midpoints, perpendicular lines, tangent lines, intersections, and more.

In AutoCAD it uses different highlight symbols to represent different snaps, it shows the symbol over or near the point you are snapping to.

The symbols used are:

a square - when snapping to an end point
a triangle - for midpoints of lines
a circle - for center points of cirlcles/arcs/elipses
two perpendicular lines - for a perpendicular snap
a diamond - for the 4 "quadrants" of a circle (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees)
a line meeting an arc - for a tangent snap
two crossing lines - for snapping to intersections

Then there would be preferences to "disable" snaps that you rarely use, and if you need a snap you have "disabled" you can still use it if you press the key for it, like in bleber's post above.

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:08 pm

Input numerically the coordinates of 3D cursor. Like the N works for the objets.

Is it possible?

Movement a group of objet in 3D space numerically(like N, but when I select more then one objet so it only move to latest selected objet, not the entire group).

For alignement two objet:
My methode at present is the following:
I select one objet->enter in Edit mode->select one vertice->SHIFT-s and cursor to selection-> a leave the Edit mode->Centre cursor button->I select another objet->enter in Edit mode->select one veritce correspondant->SHIFT-s cursor to selection->leave edit mode->select the first objet->SHIFT-s selection to cursor->in edit tab(F9) CENTRE NEW
(It was 11 steps)

As you can see its really slow to reproduce this steps. But I need really often. Is it a possibilite to accelerate this steps, or automatised?

The disadvantage of this methode: I *LOSE* the original Center point (what is sometime really important!)

I hope that I have shared some good ideas...;)

Cheers,
Khiraly

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:33 am

knoxer wrote:I would like snaps to work more automatically, like in AutoCAD.

There would just be a single toggle for "object snap" on/off... then whenever you get close to an end point it highlights to show that it's recognizing the endpoint as a snap point, and if you click it's done. It works the same for centers, midpoints, perpendicular lines, tangent lines, intersections, and more.

In AutoCAD it uses different highlight symbols to represent different snaps, it shows the symbol over or near the point you are snapping to.

The symbols used are:

a square - when snapping to an end point
a triangle - for midpoints of lines
a circle - for center points of cirlcles/arcs/elipses
two perpendicular lines - for a perpendicular snap
a diamond - for the 4 "quadrants" of a circle (0, 90, 180, 270 degrees)
a line meeting an arc - for a tangent snap
two crossing lines - for snapping to intersections

Then there would be preferences to "disable" snaps that you rarely use, and if you need a snap you have "disabled" you can still use it if you press the key for it, like in bleber's post above.
The only problem I find with this is that sometimes it's perpenendicular and sometimes not, it's hard to find the right one when you have Perpenendicular, Intersect and Endpoint all enable, I suggest a way to toggle between them, like hitting the shift key.

Some other ideals I would like to share, that can't be found in AutoCad and is a real pain in the ass.

First thing I would like to see is a 3D Array fuction, I know that ACad has this but for circular it can't do the same while also changing elevation, say like a spiral stair for example. I would also like to see an array combination scaling/offset feature as well.

AutoDesk also lack extrusion as well, it would be nice to have a Cad function that can also be seen in 3ds, like extruding and arraying along path and lines, this would also include scaling, twisting, pivet, bevel and center position of line. I know Acad can also extrude along path but I don't think it includes the other options with it.

One of the most pain in the ass features in Acad is the UCS and WCS, I'm hoping that this can be left out as a cad default and have the orginal Blender cordiance as default. I find this to be the problem when doing such things such as edgesurf.

The option of 2d lines and 3d lines is also a problem with Acad, I would prefer that a line would be a line no matter where it's at, can't see the advantage of such features. Cad programs also picky about close poly lines, hoping that it would let you know and give you an option like revsurf or spin would be welcome.

Last but not least, boolean operation on mesh, face and surface is also impossable to do with Acad, say like you did a edgesurf and wish to put some holes in there with subtraction.

Other ideals including multipal trim, extend, scales, extrude, glue etc. etc.

"Note: I only had a year training in AutoCad, if what I said above can be done in Acad 14 and below, please help pointing out my ignorenct"

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:42 am

Just one more thing, if you going to put in a RenderMan, make sure it can be access with in Blender and can be program to work with any RenderMan like K-3D.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:10 am

Don't anyone look through here ?

lisabeeren

Donations

Post by lisabeeren » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:28 am

Is there a way that we can donate $ to this project?

J.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:34 am

Since it's a Blender Cad, donate it to the Blender foundation.

dandeloreon1984

Post by dandeloreon1984 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:58 am

I am wondering will blendercad have any of the following featueres....

comandline for making objects without mouse....
easy to use texturizer/materailizer...
full interoperability with the regular blender...
support for major cad formats...

lisabeeren

Donations

Post by lisabeeren » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:24 am

Al-Capone wrote:Since it's a Blender Cad, donate it to the Blender foundation.
No, I'm wanting to donate specifically to this project.

J.

Al-Capone

Post by Al-Capone » Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:39 am

According to this post http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... 6&start=30 it's a project done by blender.it