CAD

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Hi!
It would be cool to implement the TRIMMING(extend) function in Blender too.

Please look at to this thread:
http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19716

And where are the developers? Where is the official forum?
(that is it?)

Trimming function in Cadkey:
http://uregina.ca/~rjones/cadkey_tutori ... 5.htm#Trim

And in autoCAD:
http://195.70.46.92/egyeb/autocad_trim.jpg

Khiraly

VirtualDarKness

Post by VirtualDarKness »

Khiraly wrote:
And where are the developers? Where is the official forum?
(that is it?)
For BlenderCAD we are moving to http://projects.blender.org/projects/blendercad/ that will be the developement and suppor center.

Support for italian users is www.blender.it where the project have his roots :-)

bye,
Giovanni.
http://www.blender.it - You'd better to use Firefox instead of IE! ;)

knoxer

Post by knoxer »

Yeah, trim and extend would be a really nice addition to the 2D sketch creation.

I just ask one thing, do it the AutoCAD way, I was just looking at the instructions on that Cadkey page, and it's the exact opposite of AutoCAD, I don't think my feeble little brain could handle that :P

EDIT: Inventor does trim and extend really simply: you just hover the mouse over a line and if it can be extended to meet another line it shows you, and if you click it's done. It's the same for trim, you just hover the mouse over the part of a line you want removed, it gives you visual feedback of what part will be removed, and if you click it's done.

ImageImage
Last edited by knoxer on Tue Jan 13, 2004 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

knoxer wrote: I just ask one thing, do it the AutoCAD way, I was just looking at the instructions on that Cadkey page, and it's the exact opposite of AutoCAD, I don't think my feeble little brain could handle that :P
In Cadkey trimming and extend functions are solved in one single button. If the line does not reach the object it extends it, if it is too long it trims it.

In AutoCAD they implemented two icons, so the drafter decides whether to trim or extend.
Inventer does trim and extend really simply
What 'Inventer' mean? It's a blenders function?

Khiraly

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Khiraly wrote: What 'Inventer' mean? It's a blenders function?
Do you mean AutoDesk Inventor?

I have reasoned a little. And this trimming function is really simple to implement(mathematically).

I give an example:

We have two line (we know the vertices)
It must be calcul the intersect of this two lines. We must resolve a little equation system ...

Example:
first line:
zero point: 1,1,0
end point: 2,3,0

second line:

The two equation:
equation of the first line:
x=1+t
y=1+2t
z=0

equation of the second line:
x=2+2u
y=6-2u
z=0

Calcul the intersect:
1+t=2+2u
1+2t=6-2u
t=2 (or u=0.5)

Now the point of the intersect is:
x=1+2=3
y=1+2t=1+2*2=5
z=0
So 3,5,0 The point of the intersect. So It must be extended the first selected line.

As we resolve this is really simple to implement. If that help I can write a little program C for implement this.(so from 4 point(2 line) calcul the intersect coordinate)

Only problem of the selection of the two line. It will work in edit mod, or object mod? I suppose it will be like the join function(Control-J)

Any feedback?
Last edited by Khiraly on Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

theeth

Post by theeth »

I've just commited a Trim/Extend function to tuhopuu.

Keep the suggestions coming and please include some descriptions or screenshots of how that works in other software, especially interface-wise as it makes our job easier when starting with an already existing design.

I'll most likely be adding more CAD features in a near future.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

guitargeek

Post by guitargeek »

Very nice theeth. I did a bunch of CAD stuff back in highschool (course that was 10 years ago :) ) I should dig out my old cad software and see if it still runs on my computer to get feature ideas! I can't remember off hand but it my in fact be cadkey.

BTW should new features in featurelist.txt go at the top or bottom? I have seen people do both. (or does it matter?)

---EDIT---

What about an option to allow the vertex that is being moved to actually become a split point of the other edge, so instead of seperate 2 edges, you would have 3 connected edges? Just a thought.

theeth

Post by theeth »

guitargeek wrote:BTW should new features in featurelist.txt go at the top or bottom? I have seen people do both. (or does it matter?)
It used to be at the bottom, but it probably doesn't really matter.
guitargeek wrote:What about an option to allow the vertex that is being moved to actually become a split point of the other edge, so instead of seperate 2 edges, you would have 3 connected edges? Just a thought.
That might be a little harder, especially if the edges are part of faces and not just loosed edges. Not impossible though.

Martin
- John Lennon

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

theeth wrote:I've just commited a Trim/Extend function to tuhopuu.
Thx!
Keep the suggestions coming and please include some descriptions or screenshots of how that works in other software, especially interface-wise as it makes our job easier when starting with an already existing design.
In fact its an other useful function. the Chamfer function.
Here is a little presentation, how in Cadkey work(flash):
http://www.k2college.com/Webpages/Colle ... h15-4.html

I dont know how can You implement this feature, but its really help in our work.

The pair of the chamfer function, it is the Blend function:
http://www.k2college.com/Webpages/Colle ... h15-5.html

I hope this are good ideas, and help in brainstorming;)

Best regards,
Khiraly

theeth

Post by theeth »

We already have a work in progress bevel function. :)

Martin
- John Lennon

ilac

Post by ilac »

:shock: wow! Works great and is really really useful! :D
Thanks

theeth wrote: Keep the suggestions coming and please include some descriptions or screenshots of how that works in other software, especially interface-wise as it makes our job easier when starting with an already existing design.

I'll most likely be adding more CAD features in a near future.
Have a list somewhere I need to track down! :P :wink:

A nice addition would be if the shiftkey constraint modifier for grab, increases in precision according to the zoom level. It currently constrains to 0.1 regardless.

Don't know about other users but for my architectural work i normally work at: 1 blender unit = 1 metre. As it is, I am therefore restricted to constraining to 10cm no matter how much i zoom in.

If the Shift modifier for Grab could intelligently switch from 0.1 to 0.05 to 0.01 according to viewport magnification, it would be really handy.

Possible?

Martin, Thanks again for the great Trim tool! :D

Fabrizio

leon

Post by leon »

hi ilac,

I had the same issue with the constraints : but some helpful person on Elysiun pointed out that I can set up several screen layouts, each with different grid sizes. Then ctrl constrains to 1 grid unit, shift+ctrl to 1/10th of a grid unit.

My apologies if you already knew this!

cheers

leon

ilac

Post by ilac »

leon wrote:hi ilac,

I had the same issue with the constraints : but some helpful person on Elysiun pointed out that I can set up several screen layouts, each with different grid sizes. Then ctrl constrains to 1 grid unit, shift+ctrl to 1/10th of a grid unit.

My apologies if you already knew this!

cheers

leon
:oops: The shame! I Didn't know that! :P

:D Works great! Thanks Leon. This has been very helpful!

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

I have just downloaded the latest binarie for my linux system, but I cant find the trimming function. (Even in the changelog, I dont see how it works)

Can You me give a little instruction?

Thx.

Khiraly

Post by Khiraly »

Khiraly wrote: Can You me give a little instruction?

Thx.
Is it in the W menu. Extend/Trimming. It works fine, thx.
A little problem:
When I select the 4 vertices, I call the Extend/Trimm function, the mouse-pointer switch to the CLOCK(in linux).
So I thought, that It calcules something!

Other problem:
When the two edges are paralell It make long to infinity!
So it would be fine, when blender drop a window, that the two line are parallel!

But its a really nice feature. Thx a million!

Here is an another feature request:
It would be cool, when we are capable to subdivide just one edge, and not all the faces connecting.

Here is a picture:

I hope you understand ...