16 Material Limit

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

zeroshift

16 Material Limit

Post by zeroshift » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:28 am

Hello !

I have been using blender for a lot of time, but now i reach a odd limitation of 16 materials per model, this may sound a bit insane using more than 16 materials, but i'm using blender to create lowpoly representations of small industries. I need more than 16 to gather all different materials which have different textures for each part of the building (each part represents a high poly render from a point of view), and finally compile it in one single texture (using bake texture).

The highpoly
Image 1

The lowpoly with the compiled and baked texture, the model used 12 materials for bake
Image 2

Maybe there is another easy way .. :D

(sorry for my english)

Thanks !

pinhead_66

Post by pinhead_66 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:42 am

hi,

question: are the buildings, ground and trees all together one mesh? if so, you might wanna try to make a seperate mesh/object for each of the things :/

buildings one object, ground surface one object, trees one object, that should eliminate your 16 material limit problem...

greets pin

zeroshift

Post by zeroshift » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:22 am

Hi pinhead !

You are right, it would fix the problem, but this is a project restriction, the model can't have multiple objects, neither multiple textures, just one single object and texture :(

I found a away to avoid the problem, by reducing the number of textures, for example compiling the building texture faces in one texture and then compiling it to the final texture, but it takes a lot of work and time.

I wonder if it's too hardcore to increase blender material limit :wink:.

Thanks anyway !

indigomonkey

Post by indigomonkey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:23 pm

I believe that the builds from the Apricot project can use more than 16 materials - they can be downloaded at graphicall.org. Of course, remember that they are pre-release builds so approach with caution!

frca

Post by frca » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:05 am

The unlimited number of materials per object is first on my own wish list too, so I hope it will be added to main blender branch soon.