Content Paradise files

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

xcalibir

Content Paradise files

Post by xcalibir »

I found a website called Content Paradise (contentparadise.com) which features tons of 3D files, but I am not sure if I can use and import any of them to work in Blender. has anyone used any files from them, and if so, what file format can I use? Ex: Poser? Obj?

Fire Angel

Re: Content Paradise files

Post by Fire Angel »

xcalibir wrote:I found a website called Content Paradise (contentparadise.com) which features tons of 3D files, but I am not sure if I can use and import any of them to work in Blender. has anyone used any files from them, and if so, what file format can I use? Ex: Poser? Obj?
The vast majority of Content Paradise files are intended for use in Poser, and are set up for that program. Any that you buy, or the free ones you download, will contain several files, one of which can be imported into Blender easily (the Alias/WaveFront .obj file). However the rigging for Poser models is in a separate file (a .cr2 file) and will not work in Blender directly. I know someone was working on an importer some time back, but I don't recall who it was or where I saw his posts on the subject. You could try searching these forums.

If you are able to rig figures yourself then Poser figures could be useful to you, you can just import the geometry and rig it from scratch in Blender.

I have a licensed copy of Poser and often use the figures for stills rendered in Blender; the Blender rendering is many times faster than Poser's. I pose the figures in Poser and export the models to disk from there.

I also use Blender to make models for Poser that are for sale, and I may soon have some for sale on CP. Blender's modeller is ideal for this task as it is for many others, though rigging in Poser is very tricky, to say the least. I haven't learned to rig in Blender yet, but I expect it to be a lot easier than it was learning to rig for Poser!

Matsuemon

Post by Matsuemon »

Fire Angel wrote:
xcalibir wrote:I found a website called Content Paradise (contentparadise.com) which features tons of 3D files, but I am not sure if I can use and import any of them to work in Blender. has anyone used any files from them, and if so, what file format can I use? Ex: Poser? Obj?
The vast majority of Content Paradise files are intended for use in Poser, and are set up for that program. Any that you buy, or the free ones you download, will contain several files, one of which can be imported into Blender easily (the Alias/WaveFront .obj file). However the rigging for Poser models is in a separate file (a .cr2 file) and will not work in Blender directly. I know someone was working on an importer some time back, but I don't recall who it was or where I saw his posts on the subject. You could try searching these forums.

If you are able to rig figures yourself then Poser figures could be useful to you, you can just import the geometry and rig it from scratch in Blender.

I have a licensed copy of Poser and often use the figures for stills rendered in Blender; the Blender rendering is many times faster than Poser's. I pose the figures in Poser and export the models to disk from there.

I also use Blender to make models for Poser that are for sale, and I may soon have some for sale on CP. Blender's modeller is ideal for this task as it is for many others, though rigging in Poser is very tricky, to say the least. I haven't learned to rig in Blender yet, but I expect it to be a lot easier than it was learning to rig for Poser!
Hey Angel, so if I'm understanding you correctly, Poser models and textures should work for still pictures in Blender at least, but probably not animations? Thanks for your help

Fire Angel

Post by Fire Angel »

Matsuemon wrote:Hey Angel, so if I'm understanding you correctly, Poser models and textures should work for still pictures in Blender at least, but probably not animations? Thanks for your help
Yes, but remember if you don't have Poser you'll have to rig any human or animal figures for Blender before you can pose them. If you're thinking of using vehicles or buildings from Content Paradise then they are much easier to rig, or in some cases to use without rigging.