BLENDER: that drive me crazy

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

win

Post by win »

I've add five objects: one big circle, one smal circle and tree planes.
In objMO I can choose and locate (link&mat) all five objects.

In editMO it's not possible the select two objects, there is displayed only
one with the vertices.

With NEW: "erase all" that stuff isn't gone away; it is on the screen. I`ve
to delete the .B.blend to get a new screen.

Sorry, is that normal!?[/b]
Kind regards... Winfried

kAinStein

Re: BLENDER: that drive me crazy

Post by kAinStein »

Well, if it was the other way round then it would be clear: You would have a joined mesh.

I haven't observed anything like that. Would you mind to post the .blend?

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

win wrote:With NEW: "erase all" that stuff isn't gone away; it is on the screen. I`ve
to delete the .B.blend to get a new screen.

Sorry, is that normal!?[/b]
You have apparently saved some state as your user preferences (ctrl+u), this state is your new state with "erase all".

/Nathan

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

win wrote:In editMO it's not possible the select two objects, there is displayed only one with the vertices.
I finally found out what you meant! Kinda slow today... Yes, it is normal:

In edit mode you can edit a single object at once! If you wish to edit another object then exit edit mode, select the other object and go into edit mode. If you wish to add geometry to an existing object (of the same type) then do it in edit mode - or - if you wish to join various objects to a single mesh select the objects, make the object you want to keep active and hit CTRL-J.

Take a look into the documentation to learn about the internal data structure - which is helpful to learn what an object is, what mesh and how you can benefit from it ("real" duplicates, linked duplicates (shallow copies) linking objects with other data blocks, etc.).

The other issue has already been answered.

win

Post by win »

kAinStein: In edit mode you can edit a single object at once! If you wish to edit another object then exit edit mode, select the other object and go into edit mode.
That can't be true. How should I make that in the following way:
Add two circles (add Mesh/circle) - connect vertices of both, and built a segment - add planes into it and place faces around - cut out the planes (to get holes)...

If I add the second circle in editMO I can do it this way, I've two circles with vertices. If I do it in objectMO I have only one with vertices.
But if I change in objsctMO both objects are automatic connected - without STRG+J(oin).

Sorry, I've read the partially high academic docu - in German, that's my
mother tongue - but, what BLENDER there is dont't allow, is a mystery
for me.

Kind regards... Winfried

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

win wrote: That can't be true. How should I make that in the following way:
Add two circles (add Mesh/circle) - connect vertices of both, and built a segment - add planes into it and place faces around - cut out the planes (to get holes)...
I'm not sure what you want to do.
If I add the second circle in editMO I can do it this way, I've two circles with vertices.

You've got one object with a mesh - doesn't matter how many circles there are.
If I do it in objectMO I have only one with vertices.
Then you've got two objects (with two meshes).
But if I change in objsctMO both objects are automatic connected - without STRG+J(oin).

If you do the first one, yes, because you've got one single object. You should get aware of what objects are and what geometry (meshes).
in German, that's my mother tongue -
Mine too.

win

Post by win »

It occurs to me that my English is so lousy, that you don't understand what I
want.
To clear the terms objekt and mesh in my understandig: objeks are shapes
I can place anywhere on screen, they are not connected!
A mesh is also an objekt - but it shows vertices I can connect individual to create a new mesh-object.
In objMO I add two circles on screen, they are separate to select to show vertices but not altogether.
In editMo I put the second circle on screen and I've two mesh-Objects, but at switching in objMO they are automatically connecte to one object.

Sorry, I dont understand. I give up!
Kind regards... Winfried

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

What I meant is: What do you intend to do? It is simplier to explain (or answer) using an example. I just don't get where your problem lies and I can only guess that you want to have a single mesh object out of some primitives but you have created various objects instead of adding geometry to the one object. If you'd explain what you want to do supported by some screenshots or a .blend then things could be easier.

Btw.: Your English isn't that bad and regarding that most users aren't native speakers then all is ok - no need to excuse yourself. If everything fails then you still could ask in German, of course - though it's not really polite to non-germans. In addition you can improve your English skills a bit on this forums. ;)

Also: As it is always pointed out, the forums on how to use Blender can be found http://blenderartists.org/ and there exists quite a large german community on http://blendpolis.de/ forums with people which can help you in your native language.

win

Post by win »

The problem is not
kAinStein: What do you intend to do?
but rather how is it to understand (two meshes or not and the connection).

If you give me a tip how I can send an appendix, I will send some screens.
But I dont want to blow up this theme, there are many other questions.

To utilize other forums, I'm very frustrated - there is a lot of jabbering or you
will get no answer. You are the only one I've got concrete answers (see:
save a file).
kAinStein: In addition you can improve your English skills a bit
That's true - it's a large added benefit.
Kind regards... Winfried

keffertjuh

Post by keffertjuh »

From what I understand, you want to be able to move the circles separately, but you also want them to be part of the same object, a way to do this would be in edit mode using box select (B) to select their vertices separately, but in groups (not one at a time), then move it into place (perhaps using G with x,y or z and a numbre to make it more precise), then, when its in place, you can join the overlapping vertices by clicking W Remove Doubles...

Also, as it is for any BlenderUser, I really think you should start off by working some tutorial sites, just to learn everything basics and up :)
May the LOL be with you!!!!

mongrol

Re: ...

Post by mongrol »

What's happening is he's creating an object, then going into edit mode and adding another new object. Because you're in edit mode then you get both objects as part of the same mesh. Go back out of edit mode and you see both circles which are actually one object.

If you're in edit mode, adding any new meshes from the Add mesh menu will add that new mesh into your existing object. Edit mode can ONLY edit one object at a time.