locking vertices

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

MalkContent

locking vertices

Post by MalkContent »

hi
I've got a question:

is it possible to lock vertices or at least restrain their movements to certain axes?

because this would be EXTREMELY useful

example:
working in Mirrormode (xy plane as mirror), scaling along the z axis always provides trouble when your mesh is moved out of place (example: a scaling a half sphere which was thought to be a full sphere with the help of the mirror); locking down the vertices on the edge would produce a new center to scale against/from

creating quads from not exacly plane tris would be made easier when you need the new quad´s normal orientation to be exacly the orientation of one of the tris normals. (It would help to merge vertices stuff into a plane when you need the plane to stay in place)
Just scale to 0 within the important planes normal direction, having the planes vertices locked down

hmm, perhaps this would only need a 'scaling beacon' xD

as for the 'restrain movement to certain axes', it would help to merge vertices into planes from a certain view.
example:
you've got the num1 view.
what you see is a sloping plane (if there would be an image of a guy, looking directly out of the plane, on the plane, he would look over you at an angle of 45°)
and you've got a verticle which from your point of view is in between you and the plane.
you want to be the verticle ON the plane at exacly the same location where the shadow of this verticle would be, if your eye (imagine you only have one) would be a high energy laser spot and the light would'nt be curved.
when you where able to restrain the movement of the verticle to the axis your eye is looking along (thinking in orthogonal viewmode), you could merge the verticle into the plane, having one of the planes verticles set as a scaling beacon and simply scale the verticle to 0 along the planes normal. it then would have to follow the axis, et voil.

hope I made this understandable ^^;;

wll er... is there such a thing? :)
if not this totaly should be part of blender =D

Blend'n 4 jesus

Post by Blend'n 4 jesus »

Umm... You can press the letter of the axis you want while doing whatever, or you can press the MMB and it'll restrain it to the closest axis.
Looking things up first before asking may also help you not look so dumb for future refence.
-Becs

MalkContent

Post by MalkContent »

I know how to restrain the axis when grabbing/scaling/rotating
but the kind of restraining I tried to describe is not making the modifications exclusive to certain axes or planes

think of it as a vector funktion
when scaling you select the axis which the function shall depend on and then calculates the other two dependand on the modification to the other

for grabbing, you are right, this is no difference, but it sure is for scaling or any other modification

and the scaling beacon thing actually is not about restraining axes or something like it but more like modifying the "middle" of the things to scale

I'm sorry if I didn't get that clear enough

Blend'n 4 jesus

Post by Blend'n 4 jesus »

Maybe do you want to have a custom place to scale from other than the center? Say I want to rotate an arm, for example, and I want it to rotate from the shoulder instead of the middle. Is this what you want?
If so, change the pivot point from Median to cursor and place the cursor where you want to rotate or scale from. In the example of the arm, I would place the cursor at the shoulder and select cursor from the pivot menu, or press "." and then rotate. I hope this is what you want.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Pivot_Points <-More info.
-Becs

MalkContent

Post by MalkContent »

sweetness, yes that's what I've been looking for, thx :)
(well, one of the two things)