Is there a way to change the UI?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

BlindSight

Is there a way to change the UI?

Post by BlindSight »

Hi Guys,

Im new to blender, I have primarily worked in 3DS but im looking at creating a movie and cannot afford a rediculously priced commercial license for 3ds.

I looked around and it looks like Blender is my only real option, the only problem is (and i mean no offence) the UI is terrible, i was hoping that it wouldnt be as bad as everyone said, especially with the development base that this program has i figured surely someone wold have said "Hey this isnt very good, lets improve it" but it appears not.

So my question is, is there a way to make the UI a little more useful and user frienly, similar to the 3ds UI or the other major modeling suites? Or is there a mod or user made tool that will change the blender UI?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Best Regards

stiv

Post by stiv »

No.

mziskandar

Post by mziskandar »

Hi..

I am a Max user.. and starting to use Blender recently. I am very familiar with Max UI (not shourtcut). Previously, learning Blender was too difficult for me until I...

1. Get rid of point and click mindset
2. Learn blender with both hands - keyboard (shortcuts) and mouse (pointers)
3. Imagine that we can see everything from one screen (modular UI)
4. Learn from youtube, vimeo, etc (videos)
5. Plan what we want to learn (eg. I want to learn knifing the object, do simple thing first)
6. Get rid of "I am a pro in 3D modeling" mindset. Search. Ask. Don't give up.
7. There's many things that can be done in Blender. Pre scripted or Script yourself
8. They can do that I can do that too (Follow the tutorial and improvise)

I'm no expert. Correct me if I'm wrong.. From my POV What Max can do, Blender can do - even more.

Thank you.
Visit my Realtime 3D Projects http://digitalspine.blogspot.com

BlindSight

Post by BlindSight »

Thanks for the replies,

The thing is, i dont want to learn 2 billion keyboard shortcuts, its just illogical to me, when modeling you should be focusing on creating not trying to remember which combination of buttons does what, im sorry to say but the blender UI is very ill conseived.

I trully hope someone eventually imrpoves it, ive heard from people that the owner refuses to improve it, I dont know if thats true but the UI is what seperates blender from the greats

If they put their pride asside they could make blender as good if not better then the major apps, it definetly has the potential but this archaic UI is like a giant blemish on an otherwise great program.

Anyways, I think I will move on and not bother with blender, when i model i need to focus on the work not on keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks for the help.

Igm

Post by Igm »

I am a Max user too and i understand you completely.

From my current experience with Blender i have to say that it's not that hard to start using it once you customize most parts.

For example, in the User Preferences i suggest you switch to Left mouse button for selecting objects, use "turntable" style orbit mode, and change the 3D view to Perspective instead of Orthographic (like User is in Max).

Second, be patient and wait for version 2.50 to come out. This is a magic version for all of us who are used to other software. In 2.50 there will be a lot of work done under the hood to allow things such as hotkey customization.

I think that Blender can do almost anything Max can, in some cases even better (Texture Painting, Sculpt Tools...) so be patient.

Blend'n 4 jesus

Post by Blend'n 4 jesus »

BlindSight wrote: The thing is, i dont want to learn 2 billion keyboard shortcuts, its just illogical to me, when modeling you should be focusing on creating not trying to remember which combination of buttons does what, im sorry to say but the blender UI is very ill conseived.
This is what Blender is built around. It was made to be fast to use and the hotkeys back it up. I hated the menus in the program I used before, and was glad when I had hotkeys to be faster.

Blender was made as a inhouse tool for an animation studio, and the users were the coders, so they made it how they needed it. Even if the entire UI is changed, our hotkeys for speed of use is something we'll never lose.

The toolbox has just about everything you'll need, and if the tool has a hotkey, it will tell you. The "Hotkey and Mouse Action Reference" in the Help menu is a good thing too.

Just saying, the speed of use that the hotkeys bring, is what Blender was built around, so don't expect them to go anywhere, although they'll be customizable.
-Becs

BlindSight

Post by BlindSight »

To each their own I guess but thats the problem with coders making software to use for themselves, only you are really going to like it and if you plan to release it to the public the it will be insufficient(otherwise we would all still be using console/command line based OS's), this is one of the major issues holding this program back, you only have a cult following right now but with a proper UI blender has the potential to be amongst the greats.

I was a programer once so I know if you code it you will know it inside and out and youll be able to recite every hotkey in your sleep but for someone trying to learn it, its just too much, I dont want to sit there constantly trying to remember which key combo does what and constatly looking over refrence's, or trying to find a button on a toolbar, i need my right click menu and bam everything I need is right there, then i can concentrate on creating not hotkeys.

Like I said, its a great program you have here, and keeping the hotkeys is fine if thats what you like but there should also be the option for the rest of us to have a UI more like 3DS or the other major suite's.

Blender has gone far beyond an in-studio animation tool and I know you guys like the hotkeys, if you didnt you wouldnt have made it so, but it would be great if there was the option to use a proper UI, if there is then Blenders popularity would explode.

BlindSight

Post by BlindSight »

Igm wrote:I am a Max user too and i understand you completely.

From my current experience with Blender i have to say that it's not that hard to start using it once you customize most parts.

For example, in the User Preferences i suggest you switch to Left mouse button for selecting objects, use "turntable" style orbit mode, and change the 3D view to Perspective instead of Orthographic (like User is in Max).

Second, be patient and wait for version 2.50 to come out. This is a magic version for all of us who are used to other software. In 2.50 there will be a lot of work done under the hood to allow things such as hotkey customization.

I think that Blender can do almost anything Max can, in some cases even better (Texture Painting, Sculpt Tools...) so be patient.

Thanks for thoes tips, they sould like they would help make blender slightly more agreeable but I cant seem to figure out how to change any of this, I clicked on user prefrences in the drop down in the upper left, the menu's changed but i dont see the options you mentioned anywhere.

Oh what i would give for a simple popup dialog that has all the options.

Oh and is there a way to change the color scheme and font sizes? I have bad eyes and alot of the colors and font sized ont agree wit hme, i need high contrast white on dark grey/black and larger fonts

Igm

Post by Igm »

First of all you need to understand that Blender uses a modular interface. Each area has a header, with an icon on the left side. To actually see the user Preferences, you need to pull down the top header menu to reveal the different options.

And yes, you can change colour, font and text size. It's in the user preferences under "Language & Font" and "Themes" tabs.

Unlike .MAX files, Blender's .BLEND files store user configuration, so when opening them, you can choose whether to adopt the creator's setup or not. Most of your current UI settings are stored in Blender's own folder in a file named .B.blend. (Example: C:\Program Files\Blender\.blend\")Allow me to make things easier by giving you my .B.blend file.

http://rapidshare.com/files/167962793/.B.blend.html

mziskandar

Post by mziskandar »

Hi BlindSight..

Is this what you're looking for?

You can always drag the header bar down.

Cheers.
Last edited by mziskandar on Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit my Realtime 3D Projects http://digitalspine.blogspot.com

BlindSight

Post by BlindSight »

Thanks Igm and mziskandar

Yep, thats what I was looking for, they hid that well lol

Ive been watching some of the video tutorials for blender and I think I can get used it, however Im drawn between blender and truespace 7.6.

I was wondering if you guys could clarify a few things for me as the blender features overview is rather generalized.

Truespace seem to be quite good for character modeling, it has facial expresion tools that make it easy to create facial expression and then create fluid animations between each expression, does blender have similar functionality?

Also truespace seems to be quite good for animating movement and havior, does blender come with smilar tools (pre recorded movement, object behavior, real time cloth etc)

Also, does blender have speech sync? In other words the ability to make the lips move according to a sound file with speech?

Im not a huge fan of the blender UI but i think I like truespace's UI even less, too much searching through flyout menu's (i just cant win lol)

anyways, any imput you guys can offer would be great

Thanks for all your help guys