The screen seems locked... frustrating

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

EKRI2003

The screen seems locked... frustrating

Post by EKRI2003 »

Blender on my laptop seems locked. The first time I installed it I found the key buttons shaded in red before they turn grey. I reinstalled it again and again. The problem is still there.

I am running Win XP, Pentium IV.

Can anybody say something about it? Thanks, EKRI

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

EKRI2003 wrote:Blender on my laptop seems locked. The first time I installed it I found the key buttons shaded in red before they turn grey. I reinstalled it again and again. The problem is still there.
Most probably a graphics driver issue. Blender needs good OpenGL support. Updating your graphics driver might help - or - in some cases downgrading can be the solution aswell - depending on your hardware.

EKRI2003

Blender seems locked on my laptop...

Post by EKRI2003 »

Thank you, kAinStein.

To download OpenGL i just visited OpenGL site. It was hard to find the download. But at last something and downloaded it. You know what happened, I found my desktop invaded by half a dozen of icon like things which I couldn't remove them by running System Restore. Anyway, where or how can I find the right OpenGL program? This is my difficulty.

As you suggested, I will have a look at the graphic driver.

Can you help, please?

EKRI

stiv

Post by stiv »

You don't need to install OpenGL. You need a graphics card/driver with decent OpenGL support. Laptops and low-end desktops often come with on-board graphics chipsets that are not suitable for 3d work.

Usual fixes for display problems are:

- update (or rollback ) graphics driver

- turning off eye candy like aero, cursor shadows and full screen anti-aliasing

- turn down hardware acceleration

- reduce color depth

- buy a cheap nVidia card to replace your ATI

EKRI2003

Post by EKRI2003 »

Thank you, Stiv.

Now I realised what I have been trying to do for a couple of days. You just rescued me. Thanks a lot. I will try to do something following your advise.

Thanks again.

EKRI2003

Post by EKRI2003 »

Thank you stiv

You are right. The problem I had was rightly because of the graphics card. So, I updated my card. Since then there is nothing locked on the screen. I can now see all the icons or buttons or text on the screen.

Thanks again

Ekri