friends - developers is my system good enough?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

roybotics

friends - developers is my system good enough?

Post by roybotics »

Greetings,

I am aware that this is more of a developers forum and that is why I am bring this question here.

I would like to know if my system is good enough for blender? I have been getting a lot of crashes as of late, working with meshes, specifically when selecting them.

In the pasted link below you will find two snap shots of my system, please advise me on whether I have the proper foundation for blender.

http://www.bigpict.com/~misc/blender/system/

Also, how do I find the current version of Python I am running, please?
Best Regards,

Roy

kAinStein

Re: friends - developers is my system good enough?

Post by kAinStein »

roybotics wrote:I would like to know if my system is good enough for blender?
Luxurious. ;)
I have been getting a lot of crashes as of late, working with meshes, specifically when selecting them.
Any error report? 'Crashes' is a little bit vague. Try to start Blender from your console to see what it says.

Did you have any system updates recently, like for example drivers or the like? Also: Are other applications affected or is it only Blender?
Type "python -V" in your console window.

roybotics

Re: friends - developers is my system good enough?

Post by roybotics »

Thanks! I figured so. No recent updates at all. I did realize that I was upping the default resolution of a curve I was converting to a mesh to 150. This caused for some very complex poly structures when I converted the curve to a mesh. I have since toned it down to 50, with better results.

The "crashes" are force quits, Blender will automatically quit and I get the "report the error to apple" box. I will keep the console open to try and catch a "crash." They still happen every once in a while in edit mode when I select faces or use the "select linked flat faces" option.

I included some console logs of the crashes (I think) and my current version of python at the link below:

http://www.bigpict.com/~misc/blender/system/

Thanks again for you support!
kAinStein wrote:
roybotics wrote:I would like to know if my system is good enough for blender?
Luxurious. ;)
I have been getting a lot of crashes as of late, working with meshes, specifically when selecting them.
Any error report? 'Crashes' is a little bit vague. Try to start Blender from your console to see what it says.

Did you have any system updates recently, like for example drivers or the like? Also: Are other applications affected or is it only Blender?
Type "python -V" in your console window.
Best Regards,

Roy

stiv

Post by stiv »

Calloc returns nill: len=22116672 in CDMDeformVert, total 2965589220
You are running out of memory. That says an attempt to allocate 22 Mb failed with 2.96 Gb in use. Remember that allocated memory must be a contiguous chunk.

roybotics

I would say...

Post by roybotics »

What steps can I take to avoid running out of memory? I am sure that was the problem with the polygons being so plenty. Is there a purge option? How do you interpolate the memory information at the top of the Blender interface?

Mem: 270.78 (190.60M) Is the number in parenthesis the usable or what I am currently using. I have 10GB of ram in this sucka, is it not capable of using more that 2G or 2G per thread?

Any info about optimizing system and memory would be greatly appreciated!
stiv wrote:
Calloc returns nill: len=22116672 in CDMDeformVert, total 2965589220
You are running out of memory. That says an attempt to allocate 22 Mb failed with 2.96 Gb in use. Remember that allocated memory must be a contiguous chunk.
Best Regards,

Roy

jesterKing
Site Admin

Post by jesterKing »

The 10GB will be any cool only if your OSX is 64bit. You'll also need a 64bit build of Blender to be able to use all of that.

/Nathan

roybotics

64 bit blender

Post by roybotics »

Is the current build for macintosh intel macs not 64bit? I assumed it was. How do you tell?
jesterKing wrote:The 10GB will be any cool only if your OSX is 64bit. You'll also need a 64bit build of Blender to be able to use all of that.

/Nathan
Best Regards,

Roy