Texture painting and seams

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Nikprodanov

Texture painting and seams

Post by Nikprodanov »

Hello everyone! I have recently started working with Blender's Texture Painting system, and so far i am very satisfied. There is one big problem that's been bugging me though. The brush doesn't behave properly when going near the seams of the mesh.

To demonstrate my point, i've made a plane with four of its' faces with different UV coordinates:

And this is what happens when i draw on it:

Is there any way to fix this? It gets annoying if the UV mapping on the mesh consists of multiple parts.

Oh yeah, i'd also like to take the opportunity to make a little feature request - apart from getting this fixed, it would be awesome to have a "Clone Brush" like on most 2D image editors, it shouldn't be too hard to implement, and would prove indispensable for touching up textures. Using a textured brush is nice, but it's not quite the same.

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

Well, it just seems to me that you didn't unwrap the mesh properly in the UV editor - that's all. Take a look into the beginner tutorials how to unwrap a mesh correctly.
Take also a look here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D ... Map_Basics

kAinStein

Post by kAinStein »

[removed double post]
Last edited by kAinStein on Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

Care to explain exactly why this "effect" happens? I didn't unwrap the mesh in Blender, but in 3dsmax. The idea here is that i want to be able to texture paint my 3dsmax meshes aswell as Blender ones.

Secondly, i tried the tutorial and the problem persists:

Which means that the problem is not in the unwrapping, and that it always happens when the UV's of a mesh are split into different parts. It doesn't matter if the seam is marked, or whether it's in 3dsmax or not. Test it for yourself.

Jas. Hook

Post by Jas. Hook »

If I may suggest, the picture of your mesh in edit mode makes it seem as if there are more than one vertex where there is a split. Perhaps highlight all of them and press RemDouble, to see? I don't know it just looked like it
-King Jas.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

I have tried that, all the vertices are welded properly.... Well they have to be, i haven't modified the default Icosphere's topology at all.

I think the problem is actually a flaw in the way the texture painting system works. Especially with big brushes, when you get near the seam, it can't tell that a big brush's radius is actually going over to the other side, because the brush coordinates are still pointing to the first "UV island". It only draws on the 2D plane with the projected coordinates and nothing else.

To fix this, instead of only drawing by coordinates, the brush raster also needs to be projected from the 3D window to the 2D texture. That way it's much more robust, the UV's of a mesh can be split into a 1000 parts and still look seamless when painted.

Is there any place where i can submit a request for this to be fixed?

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov »

UPDATE

I tried this in the 2.50 test build and it's fixed:

And i see that a Clone brush is in the works, great work you guys! Big thankyou to all the Blender devs, it's nice to see people actually care about improving their software. If this were Autodesk, such problems like this would probably never get fixed...