About feature requests

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:23 am

dschnell289 wrote:
2. The maxscript listener. I don't know much python, and honestly haven't tried my own scripts in blender. But it's really handy in max when you have the listener down in the corner to do a one-liner like $.rotation.z = rnd .95 1.05 (where $ is the entire selection set) without writing an entire script.

I usually strongly dislike posts that do what I'm doing (make program X just like program Y. But I think these are two very useful tools.
The Listener will come once the event system recode is complete.

karamelin

Blender means the Best))

Post by karamelin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:11 pm

I have some propositions on blender improvement and would like to discuss them.

1. Make it possible to rotate and pan 3d view during object/mesh transforming (grabbing, rotation or scaling).

2. Interface highlighting. This means that user can compare two .blend files: opened file with another one which could be default B.blend file, last saved version of opened file or just any file. Then blender highlights in opened file options (buttons, numeric fields and others) that is different in this files. This will help us to learn tutorials, to remember what we changed during experiments with blender settings or to find out what other users changed in common .blend file and so on.

3. What do you think about Layers Node? This node converts frames sequence into layers with the same names. Layers can be processed then with Mix or Z combine nodes and be converted into one image. So we'll can create new amazing images just mixing different phases of object movement.

4. Allow particles to affect emitter's vertices thus deforming emitter mesh in various ways. When particles die vertex is erased. I suppose it will simplify creating effects like smoke or ink dissolving in water.

uvwxyz

Texture mirroring & texture filter

Post by uvwxyz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:09 pm

I have two feature requests:

1. Having an option to tell textures how to tile within the same face:
As you can see, the faces go outside the UVspace. If there was an option which lets the texture flip back on itself within the same face, it would be extremely useful for making low-poly spec game textures/models.

2. I would find it very useful to be able to use nearest-neighbour texture filtering in the real-time view port, so that when I work with low-res textures it doesn't look all blurry.

zingbat

Post by zingbat » Mon May 12, 2008 1:54 pm

Small stuff

http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13163

Also something useful for game editing, when we edit scenes using the technique of creating blocks that snap together.

I could really use something to edit scenes and objects similar to what we do in hl2 and nwn2 game editors with *prefabs*. A more efficient way to edit user properties than the one from the help menu.

With Blender new functionality it would be easy to add limited prefab editing modes. Just add an option to lock selecting an hierarchy of objects. The result would be that selecting an object within it's parent child/hierarchy would select or deselect all objects in the hierarchy. Setting this hierarchy in edit mode would only edit the active object.

To facilitate editing user properties i suggest adding user property nodes to the outliner and merge them with game properties.

Now something very cool for editing game scenes would be to make some user properties work as event handlers.

For example imagine we have a prefab wall lamp that should be randomized everytime it is duplicated. The randomization would change the texture used by the lamp and it's mesh and also if the lamp has optional things attached.
Last edited by zingbat on Thu May 22, 2008 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

belender

Post by belender » Sun May 18, 2008 12:10 pm

i had an idea for making python scripting easier for the users

i'm thinking something similar to the way scripts can be built graphically in after effects

or simpler might be to have a collapsible tree list of "targets",

so for example if a user makes a sine wave generator script, he can then access a menu to select what he wants to modify... so an option for "currently selected object" perhaps, then another menu listing all the variables for the currently selected object, so he can then select which parameter he wants to alter with the sine wave.

if that makes sense ;-)

BloodyRain

3x 2D + 3D view possible?

Post by BloodyRain » Thu May 22, 2008 9:12 pm

would it be possible to get a view like this in blender where the 2d views are linked and pannable (or panable?) and the 3d view rotable and panable?

http://img250.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 040zm6.jpg

This screenshot is from MED (Modeleditor) and there you can use Right-Click for panning in 2D and rotating in 3D cause the key isn't used otherwise, Left+Right for panning in 3D.

Maybe it could be Middle-click in blender for panning in 2d and rotating in 3d and middle+left/right for panning in 3d cause i find the camera handling in blender kinda difficult and exhausting plus its hard for me to build with only a 3d view. I think 3x 2d + 3d would be much better and i know i can set it up in blender too but its still hard to move the cams there.

And I would like to be able to set some keys my self because its hard for me to use the camera keys on my notebook, i need to switch on and of my numpad the whole time.

I would like to use the camera presets with 0-9 and the rotations and pannings with the arrowkeys & arrows+shift because i dont use layers anyway yet.

scardario

Post by scardario » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:38 pm

I'd like to see some usability improvements in blender:

1. When I have several objects or bones selected, I'd like to block the transformation properties (from the Transform Properties Window - N) to all of them, not just the last I selected
It becomes annoying having to select one by one of the objects I need to change this properties.

2. Keyboard Shortcuts to bone layers

3. an alternate way to input the name of a bone in a constraint panel (When there are too many bones Ctrl + C - Ctrl + V gets tiresome) maybe drag & Drop? or a list like the one for selecting parent from edit mode

4. autocompletion in the text fields

5. When editing bones with X-Axis Mirror activated, If I add a bone via the space bar on one side, it doesn't duplicate at the other

6. I'd like to add specific camera IPOs without need of a driver, like lens change

7. This one is more a feature than an usability improvement: I'd like blender to have the capacity of rendering the transition between orthographic and perspective projection via IPO curves, like in Super Paper Mario for Wii.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:23 am

Auto complete in all edtitable fields. To compliment the above post.

Bone node editor is also a good idea, using the outliner is good. But a node editor would be great.

Optimize Sculpt tool to work with higher poly counts (vixols maybe?).

roy xx c

Mutiple camera rendering idea and object option controle

Post by roy xx c » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:51 pm

three things

1: In node editor in the composite nodes the render layer input should have a camera selector so you can use multiple cameras and use the save to file output to get separated files or mix the result with other cameras to make special effects.

I have seen a lot of forums on the web that ask how to make multiple camera rendering. I think this would be a good way to resolve this problem.

2: when multiple objects of the same type are selected, the options should control all of the objects

i.e. if i select 3 lamps and i change the energy slider it should change it for all the lamps.

3: intern (no complex script or add-ons) batch and network rendering.

silvermindYarr

Post by silvermindYarr » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:18 am

Any word on the feature request tracker?

kinzeron

Post by kinzeron » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:39 am

Hi,

Since I m currently moving from MAX to Blender. You have made quite an impressive work. I didn't expect blender to be what it is now, it exceeded my expectation.

there are few things that bother me however (may be only me ;), actually I find them completely unintuitive in the user interface. These things can be simply resolved through an object picking button. Here is an example: I want to add a trackto constraints to a camera. The problem is that I have to hard write the name of the object myself (there is no list, no suggestion,...). This is quite bothering and actually it is error prone. (of course you can generalize this to the armature/vertex group, Boolean operation,...).

It seems that there are many ways to resolve this imho, maybe using blender registry through a simple python script. Or even create an empty object which will act as a placeholder for object names while we pick them through the context menu. (I still think the registry is better ;).

I have been digging a bit around, I m not sure if there is any plan to implement that soon (maybe you are waiting for the complete rewrite of the event handling system) but I think it will help speed up things and make life easier (a lot more easy).

Azrael

Hide Backfaces/edges while in X-Ray with Retopo on.

Post by Azrael » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:27 am

CONFUSED WHILE RETOPOLOGIZING? YOU ARE NOT ALONE!
A Hide Backfaces while in X-Ray mode would make the mesh easier to read. The lack of such a feature makes editing the mesh during X-Ray at high levels of detail pretty darn confusing. You have to constantly hide parts of the mesh wasting valuable time that you could spend modeling. But if implimented, It would save your time.

Here's a picture of what i mean to be clear:
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:43 am

BLENDER VERTEX WEIGHTS LOVES ALL BONES EQUALLY
In blender you could have one vertex, it could have a weight of 1 while 3 other bones also have a weight of 1 on this vertex. This can cause some tricky business.

This causes many people to have to edit their vertex groups manually vertex by vertex until they have achieved the perfect balance.... MANUALLY. I don't know about you... but, that is tedious.

Instead how about a vertex can only have a total weight of 1. When you paint on it and add influence, it takes away influences from the other groups and when influence is 0 removes it from those groups.
Last edited by Azrael on Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Azrael

Post by Azrael » Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:02 pm

UNWRAPPING IMPORTED MODELS A PAIN
When Importing an object with UV's, UV borders automatically create seams on the mesh.

Azrael

Texture Painting

Post by Azrael » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:20 pm

No "Save Colour Palette" Feature is Murder.

Clone Tool.
Clone Stamp Tool.
Load Brush Tool/Create Brush Tool.
Layers. <-- also allow pasting of images into the layers and blending.

Add drag n drop of "Active Color" to color palette. Plus add more swatches to store more colors. And the colors in the palette should be saved automatically.

Picture of Palette:

Last edited by Azrael on Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:37 pm, edited 7 times in total.