About feature requests

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theeth

Post by theeth »

broken: the feature request tracker has been down for the last month AFAIK.

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

theeth wrote:broken: the feature request tracker has been down for the last month AFAIK.

Martin
Oh dear, you're right. I stand corrected :oops: Fire away with the requests here, then!

kane

Post by kane »

I’ve got a feature request: when you convert metaballs, or subsurf's to meshes (Alt-c) it keeps the original, could we have the same for converting curves?
Close the world, txen eht nepo.

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

feature request: being able to set which materials appear while rendering and which only appear in reflections.

Also, the ability to control the ammount of "Ray Mirror" accross an abject with a texture (just like you can control the alpha value with a texture)

This would make the raytracing much more powerful

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi »

Oh yeah, and automatic file extensions too! Currently you have to type in ".jpg" after the image name if you are saving the image as a jpeg file. This is not much of a problem, but for other file types you might not be able to remember what the extension is. Irix for example. What extension does the Irix file format have?

Besides, people aren't used to having to type in file extensions themselves.

This shouldn't be hard to incorporate since it works for saving .blend files. Should be able to reuse some code there.

Edit.. Found out the Extensions in the Render buttons does exactly that! My suggestion is then to remove this button and have it always on. I mean, there is no reason why it shouldn't be on all the time! There is no drawback of having it write file extensions automaticly as far far as I can see. Even on Linux or MacOSX where the OS doesn't need a file extension to read files it still wouldn't hurt.
Or atleast rename it to File Extensions - I always thought it enabled python scripts to do with rendering or something.
Last edited by Monkeyboi on Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carrot.nl

Editmode for lamps

Post by Carrot.nl »

I often feel the urge to move the two dots in the spotlight (the clipstart and clipend indicators). It would be nice if we could put a lamp in editmode and edit the indicators the way we edit the vertices.

Merry christmas and a happy newyear! :wink: 8)

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Yes! And be able to scale the spot size like a circle. That would definitely make life much easier :)

Carrot.nl

Improved text editing.

Post by Carrot.nl »

A few other requests:

Some improvement on text editing.
The usual editing functions like:
- the deletekey in linux
- CTRL+Left/RightCursorkeys to move trough word quickly
- Common cutting and pasting between Text- and NumberInputbutton (Maybe this is to much for now, but would be nice though.)
- Automatic moving to the next Inputbox (for instance when giving texture coördinates). Would save a few mouseclicks and speed up the workflow.

Some way to define which window should show animation when using ALT-Akey, in the form of a togglebutton.
This way you can save the processingpower and still see the animation from different views (you find necesary) and dont have to use the ALT+SHIFT+Akey.

Better preview-images for textures
Sometimes I can hardly make out what the images represent. Maybe the preview quality could be adjusted in the User Preferences Window.
(Maybe previews of .blend files could be programmed in, but that's probably for a (far) future version when the filewindow is on for a big remake.)

Greetz, Carrot.nl. :wink:

(:edited:)

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

make the image window draw like the 3d window does the selected and visible faces

this would make it _much_ easier to uvmap, that dashed black and white line is _very_ hard to work with, as is the lack of a way to see the selected faces and similar.

(use same colors and blending method as the 3d window?)

env

Post by env »

A mirror option for the image textures would be very nice, IMHO.
I mean a button that mirror the image map on the two axes (X-Y), so there would be no need to mirror it in Gimp every time you have to.

Env

levon

Post by levon »

Monkeyboi wrote:Oh yeah, and automatic file extensions too! Currently you have to type in ".jpg" after the image name if you are saving the image as a jpeg file. This is not much of a problem, but for other file types you might not be able to remember what the extension is. Irix for example. What extension does the Irix file format have?

Besides, people are used to having to type in file extensions themselves.

This shouldn't be hard to incorporate since it works for saving .blend files. Should be able to reuse some code there.
also there is already a button that adds the extention to seperate frame animations, why not pics as well.

Portia

Post by Portia »

Feature request:

Some form of crude rendering to a vector format. For example an encapsulated postscript file.

A simple scene with a lone sphere would produce a simple circle.

I am thinking not in terms of producing a final, nicely rendered, picture here but in terms of something that would be imported into another program (e.g., coreldraw, freehand etc.) for further finishing.

This would be very useful for illustrations of 3D objects in a 2D vector drawing program. Getting the shapes etc. just right for 3D objects can be tricky in a 2D drawing program. Currently I solve this task by making an object of the correct dimensions in blender, render, import the bitmap into coreldraw and then manually trace the object to make a vector drawing. Then I delete the bitmap.

This feature would also benefit the comic-book drawing community.

I hope that this is enough to explain the request.

:lol:

matt_e

Post by matt_e »

Well, I've just put the feature requests tracker back online. It was only just a matter of clicking a check-box. I guess someone had forgotten to turn it back on after the drive crash. Anyway, you can now head back on over here:

http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?at ... unc=browse

Khiraly

Re: Improved text editing.

Post by Khiraly »

Carrot.nl wrote: - the deletekey in linux
Yeahh! DEL, HOME, END must be work!;)

io

b-constructor

Post by io »

i need a real "constructor" (blender-constructor) module in blender to be able to build (almost) everything. i use in a daily basis formz and i can build almost every object in it. i like that blender to have all this tools (boolean & co). _a_