Anyone working on the UV Unwrap options?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Dani

Post by Dani » Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:59 pm

Did anyone get problems with this working only with planes?
Someone reported this problem to me, I can't check, at the university we use linux...

Hum... hannibar...
I think it's about four times faster to select one face than four vertices.... no? :)

Dani

Caronte

Post by Caronte » Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:35 am

strubi wrote:Sorry, took me a little time to get the stuff compiled under cygwin.
So, here you find an integration of the xMesh library into blender.
More in the blend file in the setup. Cubic unwrapper of course included.
Linux version is available on request.

http://www.section5.ch/?which=1

Have fun!
- Strubi

WoW!!!!!

Thank you!!
Thi's awesome!! :shock: :D
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

AndyDavis

Post by AndyDavis » Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:05 am

Nice work. I have had a little thread going on in the bf-committers mailing list about where blender goes next for modeling.

The tenuous conclusion is that being able to support some kind of winged edge format will allow the development of a host of more advanced modeling tools.

Looking at this, it seems that you have a good starting point for that kind of effort. Is this conclusion warranted? Would you be interested in participating in such an effort?

Feel free to reply here, bf-committers, or e-mail me privately.

Thanks,

-Andy

strubi

Post by strubi » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:11 pm

Oh my. That 'inofficial stuff' seems have to caused some rumours.
First: Thanks for all the positive comments!

hannibar wrote:Great stuff.
I have one question though. What is the actual advantage of using this mesh editing system instead of the current one (besides the undo)? In the current one you can select faces and edges too, by selcting 2,3 or 4 vertices and do the same operations.

Another thing is that sometimes when you go out of editmode in shmender, it takes a while. The window freezes meanwhile. This happens especially when you select a few things. I tried selecting all faces, and it took a few seconds to get out of editmode...
Try deselecting all faces before getting back from editmode - this should be faster. The reason is, that it prints out a lot of debugging crap on the console - on windows, this makes blender freeze for a while, because that stdout output seems not to be very fast...

About the advantage question: there's not much more functionality built in yet, but you can be sure it will be very easy to integrate new sophisticated editing modes. Main reason for me to put it in blender, because I still need it for some tools and writing my own editor is not feasible right now.

More later..

Cheers,

- Strubi

strubi

Post by strubi » Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:38 pm

AndyDavis wrote:Nice work. I have had a little thread going on in the bf-committers mailing list about where blender goes next for modeling.

The tenuous conclusion is that being able to support some kind of winged edge format will allow the development of a host of more advanced modeling tools.

Looking at this, it seems that you have a good starting point for that kind of effort. Is this conclusion warranted? Would you be interested in participating in such an effort?

Feel free to reply here, bf-committers, or e-mail me privately.

Thanks,

-Andy
I've heard about the winged edge stuff from Wings, but I have neither looked at its architecture nor played with wings. Winged edge sounds to me like an edge having pointers to its adjacent faces.
The xMesh structure is kinda 'brute force' and quite redundant (but fast), as it has pointers from almost everything to everything, where useful. Also experimented with modified, more memory saving structures which generate the pointers at request, but for realizing the non-destructive Undo stack functionality, the stupid 'store it all' concept turned out to be best. There's actually only like 10 low level operations which can be done/undone, making all top level editing functions very simple and capable of undo/redo.

I am still thinking about opening the API. There's just some commercial aspect which keep me from opensourcing - I know that quite some people might flame me for that, but I don't want to spoil possible business and cause anger on the customers side - hope you can understand that.

Might discuss the BL license thing though, that it's kept as an extension module with documented API, but a closed source core for the next few months. Suggestions are welcome. There's always tricks...(and believe me, I'm generally pro opensource and would like to have seen blender opensourcing much earlier!)

About participating on a project: I fear I'm lacking time at the moment. But planning to cut down a little on my main job and follow more of the 3d fun. Depends on new thrilling redesign concepts!

cheers,

- Strubi

mavos

Post by mavos » Sat Jun 07, 2003 9:23 pm

Can I have a version compiled for Linux, please. The one for Win32 refused to work with WiNE.

strubi

Post by strubi » Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:57 pm

mavos wrote:Can I have a version compiled for Linux, please. The one for Win32 refused to work with WiNE.
hey,

sorry, I am being forgetful. Here it is:

http://www.section5.ch/?which=1

Cheers,

- Strubi

malefico

Post by malefico » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:21 pm

Strubi, you have a seat at my table anytime. :D

Thanx from a penguin.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:07 am

is there any hope to get this ported to OSX ?
I can compile, all I need is instructions on what files should go where

Mats78

Post by Mats78 » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:15 pm

The cube unwrap is a very nice feature which I would like to see in the official Blender versions as well. Is this something that is being worked on? I know it can be used as it is by unwrapping and saving to a file in scmender and opening it up in blender =) Would be a nice addition though.

Regards
Mats