new user questions

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jimen

new user questions

Post by jimen »

Hi,

I'm new to Blender and ran into problems. I'm going through the Blender Basics tutorial, and created the lighthouse example. But when I tried the boolean operation to create a window, I ran into two problems.

1. Doing the difference boolean operation created a lot of extra vertices. I was able to merge them all. Unfortunately, the difference boolean operation also created edges. These edges made a quad face into two triangle faces. I don't want the triangle faces, so I want to merge them into a quad. But I can't figure out how to do it. Deleting anything at all, vertices/edges/faces, deletes more than what I want. So I don't know how else to get rid of that edge.

2. My second problem is an artifact on the corner of the created window. There seems to be a band created next to the edge of the window that is not attached to a vertex. Using Solid for Draw Type, it shows up as a black thick line.

I have the blend file, if anyone wants to see it. I can't figure out how to attach a file in this forum.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

--jc

zingbat

Re: new user questions

Post by zingbat »

jimen wrote: Doing the difference boolean operation created a lot of extra vertices.
Boolean operations works better if you try to make vertices and edges coincident as much as possible, between the two objects you are going to apply the difference operation.
jimen wrote: Unfortunately, the difference boolean operation also created edges. These edges made a quad face into two triangle faces. I don't want the triangle faces, so I want to merge them into a quad. But I can't figure out how to do it. Deleting anything at all, vertices/edges/faces, deletes more than what I want. So I don't know how else to get rid of that edge.
In edit mode, when you select a face or two you should see a Mesh menu in the bar bellow the 3D window. In this menu there is a Faces sub-menu. Usually just browsing the menus in the right edit mode will tell you what key combo to use.