New button styles (With mockup images)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

infinder

Post by infinder » Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:43 pm

I love them both. Personaly I prefer the first one. Thank you Broken!

Stamatis

nyoxi

Post by nyoxi » Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:00 pm

Don't thing those horizontal gradeints are bad. In fact they realy caught my eyes when I saw that image.

Nyoxi :idea:

dgebel

Post by dgebel » Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:08 pm

I have to agree with broken - leave them flat. The super-subtle gradient isn't worth it. Either go whole-hog with BEAUTIFUL, THREE-D BUTTONS! or save the space & CPUs for more useful things.

I forget if anyone mentioned this before (there's what, 9 pages now?! new thread perhaps? :? ), but I remember reading awhile ago about how pretty counts. People enjoy beautiful looking things, looking at them, and working with them. They are more relaxed and more forgiving of problems. In computer programs, this translates to users not getting so annoyed with how difficult the interface is to use and slugging through the bugs and other bad stuff instead of giving up.

Bryce is a good example (for me) of a gorgeous, tactile program interface. Its got problems, but its still fun to use and fast for what it does because its so nice-looking and interactive. Plus its got fast reflections, WORKING boolean ops, easy undo and a host of built-in textures, dang it! I know you all are working on it though. The new menus with EVERYTHING on it will make it a LOT easier for people learning, I'm hoping.

One other thing, PLEASE don't forget those of us who can't see all the text on the buttons without zooming way in!! (and then they don't all fit on the screen) The button text is CENTRED, and half the time I can't read the buttons. Not Good, ok? Option of left-justifying the text, or maybe changing the clipping routine to not let the text go off the left side?

beatabix

Post by beatabix » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:39 pm

broken,
just tried your windows build, and i have to say, despite looking great in many respects, your designs are not scalable.

upon opening up by default scene, the buttons window (zoomed to a point where all buttons are visible) does not look good. many of the buttons are missing the dark border/bevel on one or more sides. also, there is a great deal of flickering when zooming, that i think would detract from the beauty of the design.

i'll try to post a screenshot, but i'm sure you already know what i mean.

perhaps you can make it so that there is always a dark single pixel border around the buttons.

note :- on closer inspection, i can see that what is happening is that sometimes the dark part of the bevel is drawn, other times the light part is drawn.

that's about the only thing that i would say against it.

BTW, i absolutely love the H/V switch, as implemented on the materials window. that expanding interface is just brilliant, though could be a little more clear i think.

maybe instead of two buttons, H V, there could be just one with an image, side to side arrows / up and down arrows, to switch modes. uses less space and might be more visually communicative.

some great work, hundreds of changes.
hope some finds its way into the BF releases.
later
BEAT

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:52 pm

hi beatabix: yes I'm aware of the scaling - see here: http://www.blender.org/modules.php?op=m ... 1414#11414
:)
BTW, i absolutely love the H/V switch, as implemented on the materials window. that expanding interface is just brilliant, though could be a little more clear i think.
I'm glad you like it, but that's just an old and experimental hack-job (the h/v buttons were just as a proof-concept, to see if it worked. Much better things are in the pipeline, don't worry :)

cheers

suberduber

Post by suberduber » Tue Sep 30, 2003 12:16 am

Here's an updated mockup using some suggestions:

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sat Oct 04, 2003 1:15 pm

I have tried to reorganise the Renderbuttons to a more logical configuration.

I hope this is not too off-topic.

Anyway, here it is:

Tell me what you think!

Friday13

Post by Friday13 » Sat Oct 04, 2003 7:52 pm

Monkeyboi, i love your design! It looks much better than the current Renderbuttons arrangement.

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:00 am

Monkeyboi, that's so... logial! I like it very mucho! I like it very much...
Q to you all, do you code this into Blender and then take a screenie or you just do some Photoshop work?

Suberduber, I like the simplicity of yer style... and the colours can come in handy (might make Blender look like a toy though :roll: , just kidding 8) )

Anyway, it would be cool if the programmers allowed various types of UI, and I don't mean a simple change of button styles(like in tuhopuu 2), but a whole repositioning and styling...

For instance, you could have options like:
"Original Blender Layout"
"Broken's Cool UI + Monkeyboi's Arrangements"
"Suberduber's funky and tight design"

so that each UI has it's own style and button arrangement...

(Possible difficulties?)
1. The coders have to code more to make the UI THAT flexible (i am assuming that of course)
2. Tutorials would be hard to follow for newbies... :D (ahh... newbies are always our weakspot... but we need em SO much)
But i guess that the issua #2 will ALWAYS be an issue when talking about UI modifications... so... what the hell... do as you wish :D

Keep those screens comin! (looking forward for the UI artwork done for Blendah 2.30) 8)

but in the end... who cares about this :? ?

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:19 am

My RenderButtons layout proposal is a Photoshop job, but I can't imagine moving the buttons arround should be too hard for the programmers.

You could rearrange every buttonwindow a bit like the Renderbuttons proposal. I could rearrange the other buttonwindows if people are interested.

jd-multi

Post by jd-multi » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:26 pm

:shock: whoowh, If blender can be redesigned like that, it ill look more profesional, and easier, and much cooler. Awesome work dudes. Great, keep going. :P

dittohead

Post by dittohead » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:53 am

I thought the render button were changed in tuhopuu2?
dittohead

Fred_Pyo

Post by Fred_Pyo » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:55 am

yo monkeyboi, i would love to see how you can rearrange the buttons, just do it :D

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:28 am

Due to a little critique of my RenderButtons on the Blender Funboard, I have updated and changed it a bit. Here it is:

All the buttons have been organised into groups. In this case, there are 6 groups; Save, Options, Render, Other, Format and Presets. This makes it much easier for the user to make sence of the buttons. It is now clear that Quality has to do with saving, and that Width and Height has to do with the frame size.
The idea is the you can collapse the groups (especially useful while in Vertical mode)so that you can concentrate on certain aspects and make more room for what you are concentrating on.

I have also changed the names of some buttons. Here is the list of changes:
Odd > Upper
X > Time difference
OSA > Anti-aliasing
Play > Play Movie

These names seem more logical. How could you possibly guess that 'X' meant disabling the time difference in Field rendering? Calling the button 'Time difference' seems more logical. Anti-aliasing is a common name for removing the aliasing in images. This term is used in photoshop, Maya, XSI, and countless other programs - having it called OSA just confuses people. Then, ofcourse thereis the Upper-Lower/Even-Odd discusssion, and I think that Upper and Lower are more widely used. I changed the Play button to Play Movie because it should be clear that it is playing the movie. I also added the Show Image button so that you could have the last rendered image shown (the same as pressing F11). This seemed logical, because Play Movie and Show Image are related buttons - having one as just a hotkey and the other in the RenderButtons is wierd.

You will notice that the Anti-aliasing, Panorama, Edge, Motionblur and Fields buttons are animated to show how it will look when they are depressed. The settings for each button should only be active when it is depressed, so that it is clear to the user that the settings are relevant to the button it belongs to.

My proposal is also to make it possible to edit Numberbuttons by just leftclicking on them. You could always click the arrows to move the number up or down.

Tell me what you think!

-Monkeyboi (William)

PS
I'm working on giving the EditButtons the same treatment. I should be finished soon.. I planning on doing roughly the same to all the Buttonwindows.

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:41 am

I personally think that looks great - a big improvement! Just one note though, the Xparts and Yparts are useful for more than panorama rendering. They can also be used like a 'tile-based' renderer, to split the render job up into more manageable chunks that don't use so much memory.

I'd also move the 'extensions' to the file format/paths too.

We need more of this - ideas for how to re-organise and group the button panels for 2.3!