New button styles (With mockup images)

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Sat Oct 11, 2003 11:58 am

Yes, that's a good Idea. Extensions should be in the Save panel. What do you think of the general organisation other than that? What are your thoughts on the different panels ect?

Carnivore

Post by Carnivore » Sun Oct 12, 2003 5:56 pm

sorry if that has been mentioned before, but what the hell is that supposed to mean? I simply subdivded and decimated a plane (don't ask why)

Monkeyboi

Reorganising the EditButttons

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Oct 14, 2003 10:44 am

I posted this on the Funboard, but I think people who are not part of the mailing list shold have a chance to comment.

I have attempted to reorganise the editbuttons more logically. This is meant for inspiration to those who will code the new UI in Blender 2.30. This is my attempt:

http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons.jpg

I have changed the names of a few buttons and added som as well. The changes are:

Beauty -> Long (under subdivide)
added Short next to Long, wich could subdivde the selected faces on the short axes.
Rem doubles -> weld vertices
Added Smooth subdivide. Strange that this button is not in the edit buttons window currently
Taxface - Make ->Enable texface
VertCol - Make -> Bake Vertex Colors
Added Boolean
Added Recalculate Normals next to Flip Normals
The layer controller is now a pulldown menu.
Everything har been organised into categories.

You can comment as much as you like.

This is the vertical version:
http://www.shadeless.dk/editbuttons_vertical.jpg

Another proposal is about togglebuttons that switch off when another is pressed (Like the percent buttons in the RenderButtons, or the texture projection buttons in the MaterialButtons). I think there should be a visual difference between normal toggle buttons and buttons like these. They should be connected together so that you can see that one affects the other. here is a mockup:

Another idea I had was that you should be able to tell the difference between all toggle buttons and normal buttons that spring back when you have clicked them (like the Render button). Normal buttons should be slightly brighter than togglebuttons. A mockup:

Again, you are free to comment.

-William Reynish (Monkeyboi)

matt_e

Re: Reorganising the EditButttons

Post by matt_e » Tue Oct 14, 2003 1:06 pm

Monkeyboi wrote:I think there should be a visual difference between normal toggle buttons and buttons like these. They should be connected together so that you can see that one affects the other.
I actually started working on this while I was doing the other buttons stuff, but must have gotten distracted! Thanks for reminding me, it's on the todo list.

Cheers

Monkeyboi

Post by Monkeyboi » Tue Oct 14, 2003 4:06 pm

Good! I LOVE your work, Broken. I belive that a new easier to learn interface will revolutionise the Blender userbase. The only reason why half of the worlds population don't use Blender, is bacase it takes so long to learn. If things are categorised better, and all features are put into the menus, it will be alot easier to approach for newbies. We will see a boom in the Blender userbase!

Friday13

Post by Friday13 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:20 pm

All this stuff looks great. This should definitely be in Blender 2.30
I should check the BF-Funboard more often!

(Also, MonkeyBoi, try using PNG instead of JPEG next time [just to make images a bit smaller, since they don't have much color]).

/me starts waiting for 2.30....
Last edited by Friday13 on Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.