Page 1 of 1

[ Request ] Save .blend with password

Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:43 am
by Jenifer
It would be great when I goto save & can tick save with password, then I enter a password to save my .blend file, so the next time I open it it will ask for a password. I believe this is an important, yet it is a missing function in blender. This way people can collaborate their projects over the internet securely.

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:54 am
by stiv
Hmmmm. Certainly doable, but I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone asking for such a feature.

Given that collabaration usually involves more tha one file ( textures, materials, object libraries), it might be better to handle security at the file server level.

As a workaround, you could always encrypt the .blend with available tools.

Re: [ Request ] Save .blend with password

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:48 am
by Creedo
Jenifer wrote:It would be great when I goto save & can tick save with password, then I enter a password to save my .blend file, so the next time I open it it will ask for a password. I believe this is an important, yet it is a missing function in blender. This way people can collaborate their projects over the internet securely.
Blender is open-source, you know.
If you want to protect something, use password-protected .rar or .zip files.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:11 pm
by joeri
blender has this code. It was used for the blender publisher.
Not sure what the status of that code is now.
It also had an option to save the file compressed. ( wait... it still has )

Mind you that closed files can be a hazzle for the LIB system, so a key system would probably be best. Have a dir with keys ( certificats ) that you can share with co-workers for opening files, and a pull-down with keys to select from when saving files.

Re: [ Request ] Save .blend with password

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:01 pm
by maspeir
Creedo wrote: If you want to protect something, use password-protected .rar or .zip files.
This *IS* a good idea, but...
Creedo wrote: Blender is open-source, you know.
:?

...what does this have to do with anything? Projects made with Blender are not limited to being open source.

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:30 pm
by stiv
...what does this have to do with anything?
It is a reminder that the source code for Blender is freely available which means you can add features to your heart's content. It has nothing to do with projects created with blender

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 am
by maspeir
stiv wrote:
...what does this have to do with anything?
It is a reminder that the source code for Blender is freely available which means you can add features to your heart's content. It has nothing to do with projects created with blender
Sure, assuming the person asking is a developer. :wink: Not everyone that posts here can contribute to the development.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:47 am
by stiv
Sure, assuming the person asking is a developer
Irrelevant. The rights and restrictions to code released under the GNU Public License (GPL) do not depend on your occupation. Whether one modifies the code on their own as an individual or organization or persuades by whatever means someone else to do it, the source code *is* available.

Moderator's note: we are getting off-topic. If you want to debate this, start your own thread.

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:54 am
by maspeir
stiv wrote: Moderator's note: we are getting off-topic. If you want to debate this, start your own thread.
Sorry about that. :oops: