best file format for polytrans <-> blender

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

bitbonk

best file format for polytrans <-> blender

Post by bitbonk »

I currently have the task to edit some models where I constantly need to switch back and forth between Polytrans (the NuGraf version acutally) and blender. Unfortuantely polytrans doesn't seem to be able to read/write the blender fileformat (please correct me, if I ma wrong - I really hope I am wrong :) ). What would be a good alternative fileformat where I would not loose too much of the data (animations, shaders, object names and hierarchy, textures etc.) when importing/exporting from/to blender/polytrans ?

joeri

Post by joeri »

modeling in polytrans?
I thought polytrans was a poly-transporter.
I use polytrans to convert nurbs into polys. And most of the time I use obj as a file transfer format. But sometimes I use dxf as it keeps the smoothing.

i think obj keeps everything except the hierarchy.

Why are you going back and forth if I may ask?

bitbonk

Post by bitbonk »

joeri wrote:modeling in polytrans?
I thought polytrans was a poly-transporter.
I use polytrans to convert nurbs into polys. And most of the time I use obj as a file transfer format. But sometimes I use dxf as it keeps the smoothing.

i think obj keeps everything except the hierarchy.

Why are you going back and forth if I may ask?
In our case the hierarchy ist the most important part (after the geometry itelf of course).

We do not model in Nugraf we just constantly need to import 3D data from a lot of different CAD and DCC file formats that blender really can not handle. Nugraf is the perfect tool to merge the imported files reassemble and rearrange them and then go to blender and do some additional modelling. Once new data arrives we want to take the current WIP export it to Nugraf import the new files, import it back into blender an do some additional modelling. The end step will be that we export it back to Nugraf to export the whole thing to the final file format that we the use in our applications. We do not render anything.

okinosystemarchitect

Re: best file format for polytrans <-> blender

Post by okinosystemarchitect »

bitbonk wrote:hat would be a good alternative fileformat where I would not loose too much of the data (animations, shaders, object names and hierarchy, textures etc.) when importing/exporting from/to blender/polytrans ?
As this is a question I answered one day before this message was posted, to one of my NuGraf users, I'll assume that this is from the same person. To quote my previous answer:

Blender can import .3ds, Collada 1.4 (try to use triangles), DirectX,
OpenFlight (too slow to import), PLY, OBJ, VRML2/X3D. Out of all of these, VRML2 support everything you want, and is one of the very best 3D file formats for data translation. I've found that most people think that VRML2 died in 1996 and was only used to model spheres and boxes for simple WEB animations, but in fact VRML2 remains one of the most interesting and well implemented formats between many 3D programs.

As for the forum message about OBJ, it does not do hierarchy. Way back in the mid 80's there was "Wavefront Visualizer" on UNIX and it used a series of ASCII files to define its "data pipeline", whereby 3D data would be piped from one UNIX script or module to another, in the "T" pipe analogy of the UNIX or DOS command line. Of all those file formats used by Visualizer, only the OBJ (geometry) and MTL (material) files remained in wide spread use, mostly due to Viewpoint Corp giving away a lot of free models at Siggraph each year in the early 90's. OBJ is a fine format itself (as it is so simple and used everywhere), but it does not allow for hierarchy, lights, cameras, animation or most of anything other than core mesh geometry.

Each 3D file format has its own unique history and unique placement in the 3D world. If anyone wants info one one specific format, just email me at lansd@okino.com since I know all 3D file formats inside out.