where is the knife midpoint cut tool in 2.5?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Riptyde

where is the knife midpoint cut tool in 2.5?

Post by Riptyde » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:34 pm

I've done some searching and have not found the knife midpoint cut tool. I did find the knife tool, but it only allows 1 click of the LMB and makes cuts i am not desiring.

Just so you know, I'm following the "Captain Blender" tutorial from the "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" book, which by the way is a great book to learn blender. I'm specifically on page 54 figure 2.43.

Oh, to find the knife tool I hit space bar and used the search feature for knife. That gave me only the one option from above.

Any help would be great!!!

Rip

Riptyde

Post by Riptyde » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:11 pm

Oh, and the "k" tool does not work...at least on my copy.

Rip

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:13 pm

As a general rule, when following tutorials, you want to use the version of Blender the tutorial was written for. Features change and move from place to place in different versions. For Blender 2.50, since it has not been released yet, a particular feature may not be implemented.

Riptyde

Post by Riptyde » Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Yeah, your right about that Stiv, I was just hoping that since I'm newer at blender I would start learning the latest and greatest and when the stable release was out I would be able to hit the ground running.

Fortunately I'm not too far into the tutorial to start over...Repeating is good way to learn anyway.

At any rate...is the cut tool in 2.5 not fully functioning?

Rip.

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:07 pm

To use the Knife tool (K) in 2.50, hold down the K key, then click-drag with the Left mouse button.

Itisgregory

I am having the same problem

Post by Itisgregory » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:32 pm

This was a good post because I was having the same problem. When I am in Blender again I will try all of these suggestions posted here.

Itisgregory

How to find the knife "tool"

Post by Itisgregory » Fri Jun 11, 2010 8:17 pm

Nikprodanov - your suggestion worked about holding down "K" key while left mouse dragging. This was the ONLY way I could use knife in 2.5. I looked everywhere and could never find a knife tool.

Pressing the space bar and typing in the work knife did not work as the other user on this post had suggested.

THANKS!!!
Sincerely,
Gregory (aka NOT GREG)

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:33 pm

As i mentioned here, the search function is case-sensitive, so it depends whether you're in Edit Mode or not. This is to prevent running functions that are not supposed to work outside their intended mode. Not all 2.4x mesh operations are in 2.5x, and i think there will be other ways to cut eventually, but the devs are probably waiting for Bmesh to work, so they can implement this stuff in a better/not-hacky way.

Itisgregory

Thanks again Nikprodanov!

Post by Itisgregory » Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Nikprodanov - great points that you make. Since I am a newbie your words are very helpful.

THANKS!
Sincerely,
Gregory (aka NOT GREG)

konan

Re: How to find the knife "tool"

Post by konan » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:29 am

[quote="Itisgregory"]Nikprodanov - your suggestion worked about holding down "K" key while left mouse dragging. This was the ONLY way I could use knife in 2.5. I looked everywhere and could never find a knife tool.

Pressing the space bar and typing in the work knife did not work as the other user on this post had suggested.

THANKS!!![/quote]

Hi,
I trying use the spacebar and try to search the bevel tool via dictionary, but I can't find it... actually, where the bevel tool (edges) in 2.5x? I try the bevel modifier but the effect cannot localized for some selected edges just like in version 2.4x..... in Property panel it doesn't appear too..... are there some help?

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:00 am

Bevel tool doesn't exist in 2.5 (yet) for the reasons i mentioned above (Bmesh).

freeborough

Post by freeborough » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:35 pm

I've come across this problem with the Knife tool in 2.5 too. While holding down K and dragging with the left-mouse button works - there is no way I can find to use the tool how it was before. You can't drag a line over where you want to cut then accept it, and you can't change any of the setting of the tool.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the knife in the old way? At the moment I'm exporting to 2.49, cutting, importing. Quite time-consuming, but sometimes I can't see any other sensible way to do it (try cutting around a cone at a very specific angle).

Any help would be greatly apprecieted.

Thanks,

- Andy.

freeborough

Post by freeborough » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Ahh, I see that there is still some work left to be done on the knife tool which is in the to do list - I should have checked there first.

Menethil

Post by Menethil » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:12 am

Riptyde, try to use the subdivide function.
Mark two vertices an press the "w" button and then click on subdivide.
its some more work as the knife, but also work.

I know, the last post was on Jul 28. 2010, but maybe the midpoint problem still exists?

skippyonline

Post by skippyonline » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:05 am

In 2.5, use shift+K instead of K when cutting to access midpoint functionality. Haven't found how to get multicut to work yet