Instant point-dragging edit mode?

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theshrike

Instant point-dragging edit mode?

Post by theshrike » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:43 am

Is there anything like the 'tweak tool' (M in xsi) for rapidly moving individual points with minimal mouse clicks..

as i understand it the click sequence to move a single point in current axes is..
(i) right click to pick the point,
(ii) move the mouse asside
(iii) left-drag & move the point
[repeat for the next point..]
or
(i) rclick the point
(ii) press g
(iii) move the point
(iv) click to finish moving

whereas in elsewhere once in tweak tool its..
(i) move mouse over the point (cursor shows feedback-tag on nearest point)
(ii) left-drag & move the point

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:33 am

You can always use the manipulator you know...

psullie

Post by psullie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

Click and hold the vertex with RMB while moving the vertex, once the vertex moves you can release the mouse button and keep moving the points, LMB to verify and RMB to cancel and put the vertex back.
You can restrain to an Axis by typing X, Y or Z or restrain to a plain by typing Shift X, Shift Y or Shift Z after you release the RMB.

theshrike

Post by theshrike » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:15 am

aha, found the preference .. "edit-methods - transform immiediately". much more like what I was used to.

Also feel very silly for not trying to simply click drag immiediately. Found the option to swap L&R buttons which again is much more familiar.

Skaruts

Post by Skaruts » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:13 am

I did that too right from the begging :D
I felt way too unconfortable with right-clicking to select. If it wasn't for that option I wouldn't be blendering untill today. ;)

As for the grab key, I actualy got used to it. I dunno, I think I thought blender was kinda weird sometimes when using that, so I felt more confident with G->move->click. Now I do it that way with a pretty good dextrety lol.
But I still change the setting to transform imediately when I'm merging vertices or aligning UVs.

theshrike

Post by theshrike » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:14 pm

Skaruts wrote:I did that too right from the begging :D
I felt way too unconfortable with right-clicking to select. If it wasn't for that option I wouldn't be blendering untill today. ;)
Funny because after messing with it some more i can see the other method is more usefull when things get more complex.. just completely alien to 90% of new users ..
(i.e. not accidently moving something by clicking the wrong one)

great that it can do both.

Skaruts

Post by Skaruts » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:03 am

Never had any trouble with it, at all. Moving stuff accidentaly would happen either way, cuz my mid finger is unstable and right-clicks without my permission a lot.

But it certainly boosted my learning curve in blender and I've never seen any situation where it would be less useful.

And on the contrary to what some tutorial said, tutorials don't seem confusing with this diference. At least they never did seem to me.