How to Get Cone to follow Curve's Angle

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Paint Guy

How to Get Cone to follow Curve's Angle

Post by Paint Guy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 am

Hi, I need to have this cone object follow the angle of the curve (like the red cone). How would I do this? I tried to parent the cone to the curve but when I adjusted the curve handles the cone didn't follow the curves angle.

I can't use a "Curve Modifier" because in the curve settings I want to keep "Stretch to Fit" enabled so the cubes fit the length of the curve but if I add a "Curve Modifier" to the cone the cone stretches to the length of the curve (not what I want).

I saw someone else used a "hook modifier" and an "Empty" but I don't know how to attach these to the cone and curve to get it to work so if someone has a solution I would really appreciate it.

I hope this makes sense.

Paint Guy

Post by Paint Guy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:49 am

Hi, I just found out I need to add a "Hook" to the end of the "Curve" Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks

Nikprodanov

Post by Nikprodanov » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:25 pm

How about using a "Follow Path" constraint? Give the cone a "Follow Path" constraint, choose the path you need from there and enable the "Follow Curve" checkbox to make it align the angle. If you don't want it to do an animation, enable the "Fixed position" checkbox too. "Offset" slider controls the position along the curve, and if the cone isn't facing the right direction, adjust the "Up" and "Forward" axis to match the tip.

Paint Guy

Post by Paint Guy » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:39 pm

Nikprodanov wrote:How about using a "Follow Path" constraint? Give the cone a "Follow Path" constraint, choose the path you need from there and enable the "Follow Curve" checkbox to make it align the angle. If you don't want it to do an animation, enable the "Fixed position" checkbox too. "Offset" slider controls the position along the curve, and if the cone isn't facing the right direction, adjust the "Up" and "Forward" axis to match the tip.
Thanks. A "Follow Path" constraint doesn't let the cone bend with the curve.

Does anyone know how to "Hook" the cone to the curve?

pg