Help a noob with textures...

The interface, modeling, 3d editing tools, import/export, feature requests, etc

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

komb2424

Help a noob with textures...

Post by komb2424 »

So, due me never finding REALLY helpful tutorials, on this very simple topic, I am a bit lost.
So, I have a crate (better yet a cube) and I have a crate texture. I have it all set up, so once F12 is pressed, and get the rendering window, and it looks just fine.
THOUGH, here's my problem, how do I export this crate, so that once I import it into other software, it doesn't look like a gray cube, but indeed, a crate?

psullie

Post by psullie »

you need to export your models in a format that suits your target software, OBJ is the most common but there are others.
An OBJ file requires an unwrapped texture map, so search the wiki for texture mapping and exporting to OBJ to get started

killpotts

Post by killpotts »

It all depends on exactly what you did to get your model textured.

Did you use materials? Is the model unwrapped? Is your texture all one image? Is it something you created in Gimp? All those greatly change the process of exporting textures.

komb2424

Post by komb2424 »

killpotts wrote:It all depends on exactly what you did to get your model textured.

Did you use materials? Is the model unwrapped? Is your texture all one image? Is it something you created in Gimp? All those greatly change the process of exporting textures.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'wrapped', but I imagine it isn't. And the file is just an image I got from the web, and the texture is all one image. And yes, I used materials to apply it.
I can see the texture on the cube, when I render it (F12) but not in any other mode (like edit, object, etc.)